• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning on overclocking amd64 3200+ to 2.5/2.8ghz-whats a good heatsink/fan??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XZit

Planning on overclocking amd64 3200+ to ~2.5/2.8ghz-whats a good heatsink/fan??

I need advice on a cooling situation here:

So anyhow I'm getting a Amd 64 3200+ and I plan on (hopefully) overclocking it first to 2.5ghz, and then maybe even hopefully get it up to 2.8ghz.

Anyhow to cut to the chase--well I'm going to start out with a stock heatsink/fan--just so I can at least use my computer for a while.
But after I overclock I need a really good fan or cooling setup or somthing.

Any suggestions for what I should get for a good cpu fan/heatsink?

Plz supply links.
I'd go water cooling, but its a bit more $ and extra time to assemble it. I might consider it later on in the future. But for now I just wanna do a heatsink and fan.

Also--I need to get a really good case.
I'm getting an 3dconnect ati X800gto and overclocking the **** out of it, and doing the mod to make it 16 pipelines.
I just need a really good case. I need to keep my **** cool--

any good recomendations for a good case as well? (case with fans, NOT to loud, but not to silent enough to lack cfms)
Right now I've been looking at the thermaltake cases-I know their a bit mroe $$. But is it worth it? Found a better deal?
For me function (i.e. the amount of fans it has e.t.c.) is primary over how it looks.

Also--if you know of a good case like the one I'm looking for WITH a powersupply (at least 400watts), that would be the ideal choice.

pz

Last edited:
There are MANY other threads with diffrent peoples views on the top heatsinks out today.

The top pics for users on OCF are:
XP-90
XP-90c
XP-120
SI-120
Scyth Ninja
Thermaltake Typhoon

All are great heatsinks and should help you alot when overclocking. As far as fans go, Delta tri-blades (EFB1212SHE) seem to be at the top for 120mm's or a Tornado. For 92mm and 80mm fans I suggest a quite, yet powerfull M1a Panaflo (IIRC thats the name and model)

Thermalright SI-120
Panaflo 80mm
Panaflo 92mm
XP-90
XP-90c
XP-120
Thermaltake typhoon
Ninja
ALL DELTA FANS

Note: Sidewinders isnt the cheapest place to get fans. Check out my Delta Fan Database (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=419099) for all delta fan makes that are available as well as another online retailer to buy from.

for cases, a good choice is the antec p180. most power supplies that come with cases simply aren't worth it. head over to the forum section on cases and power supplies - quite a few recommendations there.

Hey didn't they discontinue the delta fans?
btw--I'm getting a socket 939 motherboard/cpu. Dunno if that helps out at all but ya.

The issue is that in my situation the fans have to be silent enough, but still spin fast enough to push a good amount of cfms.

Its just that if I get a hella loud fan I KNOW my dads gonna complain about the noise. lol!
maybe theres a good case out there that mutes the sound? I know I can get that sound lining stuff--but thats really expensive I guess.

Anyhow I'll check out the links.

THanks!!!

pz

if you are planning on going into water cooling into the feature, you may aswell get a case that would fit it now, instead of having to deal with selling the old and buying a new. The CM Stacker is the all mighty water cooling case alot of people are using now. It can fit any size rad in the front and is very spacious. I dont know what your budget is, because otherwise, i would recommend something from Lian-Li, in the $200-300 range.

ya--I dunno what I'm gonna do yet.
I need to get a 400watt (at least) powersupply.
So I'll probally get an ok mid tower atx case, buy the power supply serpretly.
Or just pay the extra $ and get a fulltower case.

For now once I get my stuff from newegg I'll just use the stock case I'm using right now. Get some nice rounded ide cables, let that go for a while until I find a good full tower atx case and some decent fans.
The fan cooling will only be temporary, cuase I'll be going to water cooling way down the road.
But fan cooling is what I'm looking at right now.

pz

Back