• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the intel PIII Mobile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeRose306

I have a Dell Inspirion 8000 with the PIII 800 CPU. I'm very happy with everything, including performance, but eventually, I will want more (isn't that why we're here?). I've already checked the obvious, Bios, Soft FSB. So far I've had no luck. Any suggestions?:cool:

Haven't heard of anyone overclocking a laptop without some major modifications.

Laptops are set up for the type of cooling (nor options) for overclocking so you risk danger of burning your processor out.

There are no aftermarket cooling solutions for laptops that I'm aware of either.

If you still feel the need then just do it carefully.

Have you seen the cooling Dell uses?

After cracking the case to look for jumpers (no luck yet, but....) I noticed quite a great coolng setup. This thing has what looks to be a waterblock with 2 pipes going out to a radiator cooled by two decent fans. they barely ever run, even when playing intensive games, so, I figure I have some cooling headroom. Besides, I may be able to increase cooling by adding better fans, ect. but I'd love to get my hands on an extra one of these coolers for a chipset cooler or Vid card cooler.

Cooling fans

BTW, I was mistaken earlier, there is only one tube from the cooling block to the small radiator

Its called a heat pipe and you are going to probably see more of them in the up and coming months. ZEN makes one but from what I hear it isn't that good. Another is Kendon and even coolermaster makes a heatpipe type HS. They essentially use a freon type gas in these and run them to a radiator or similar to condense the gas back to a liquid. Do a search for Kendon cooler and you will see what I mean.

ol' man said:
Its called a heat pipe and you are going to probably see more of them in the up and coming months.

ol' man is right, it's a heat pipe. And I've got to say that it's a very good idea for a laptop cooler. It's a clever way to have a good cooler without a big chunk of metal on the small space over the cpu.

Altough heatpipes are not top-rated coolers, on notebooks they may end up being largely used.

I guess we overclockers are missing a potential use for heatpipes, and that would be on low energy consuming devices such as chipsets, where it's not easy to place huge coolers on tighly-spaced motherboards.

Back