• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron PSUs- question about two models

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seamadan000

Howdy,

I am buying a new PSU and was looking to get the Fortron AX-500A, which has these rails: +3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@15A, +12V2@15A

However, I looked at the much cheaper Fortron AX-450-PN and it has these rails: +3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@15A, +12V2@15A

I noticed that they are exactly the same... so are they the same PSU in different guises, and why does the 500 cost almost %50 more.

thanks

Because the fortron 450 has a limit on the rails, there is some maximum where the psu cannot produce 15a on both rails at the same time. The fortron ax-500 is believed to have underrated rails and can definately produce 15a on each rail concurrently.

The 550 watt Fortron and Sparkle have single instead of dual rails and this is even better though they cost about $100 with shipping.

Be warned there's a fortron 550w plg which a single rail, and a 500w pln with a dual rail. Make absolutely sure you're getting the 500w-plg.

does the performance increase on the ax500 justify almost double the price of the ax450? i think not, someone get both and test them!

The AX500-A has more solid rails, can produce the amps boasted on the rails in the first place, looks better, has passive PFC, comes with sleeved cables, and is proven to be a forum favorite. Also, Newegg has that overpriced by about $20; you can find it at eWiz for $70.

does anyone actually have the ax450? Before I summarily buy the ax500 simply because it is widely used, I would like to see if anyone has experience with the cheaper model. Everyone likes saving $25, right?

Also, the ax500 is ugly...

Well depending on your system (Which you have yet to tell us) both of them may be able to handle it, so if you want to save the $20 than go for it. Also, I don't believe the only reason I gave of why the Bluestorm was better than the other one was that it's "widely used". And what does it matter what it looks like if it's going to be cooped up in your case the whole time?

What I really want to know is if there is any real-world difference between the two models. There are differences, to be sure, but in many cases differences such as the ones mentioned are not significant enough to be of any consquence in actual use. While I truly appriciate the recomendations in this thread, I would still like to know more about why these two PSUs have exactly the same amperage ratings.

ckj- what is the nature of the limits on the rails that you speak of?

thanks

He means that it may have a maximum of X amps on the rail, but whether it can reach that limit depends on the quality. Don't get me wrong; it's a high quality PSU but for $50 I doubt you'll be reaching 18a on the 12v rails. But in the case of the Bluestorm: it's rails are underated and will reach it's boasted power and maybe more.

ah, I see. I was thinking that maybe the two PSUs were really the same basic model, just one was dressed up a bit. It is curious that the company would choose to issue the same ratings for both units in that case. Thanks for the help.

I would still like to hear if anyone has used the ax450, so someone chime in.

is it just a guess/assumption/speculation that the ax450 isn't as good or there is a big difference from the ax500 or is there actual evidence?

seamadan000 said:
What I really want to know is if there is any real-world difference between the two models. There are differences, to be sure, but in many cases differences such as the ones mentioned are not significant enough to be of any consquence in actual use. While I truly appriciate the recomendations in this thread, I would still like to know more about why these two PSUs have exactly the same amperage ratings.

ckj- what is the nature of the limits on the rails that you speak of?

thanks

Well according to the .pdf found here
http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroupusacom/images/AX450-PN (9PA4002102) SPEC.pdf
main psu site found here
http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroupusacom/proddetail.asp?linenumber=200

the fortron ax-450's 12v1+12v2 may not exceed 348w. This means while each rail boasts an 18a maximum for each rail, in reality, the combined amperage on both of the rails can never exceed 29a.

But the fortron ax-500w's home site is here http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroupusacom/proddetail.asp?linenumber=195
and the spec .pdf is here
http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroupusacom/images/AX500-A_S.pdf

And according to this spec sheet, while the 12v1+12v2+3.3v+5v have a maximum of 445w, the 12v1+12v2 can each take full advantage of the 15a alloted, plus draw on the 3.3v and the 5v.

This doesn't sound like much when you consider only the 12v rail, however, since on the ax-450, while the 12v rails are running at their maximums, the draw on the 3.3v+5v can only be a maximum of 37watts, which isn't very practical at all.

The fortron 500w while running it's peak sustained amperage on the 12v rail, has 85W devoted to the 3.3v and 5v rails. This is more in line with what's needed to power a 12v based pc.

In addition to the differences in power provided on paper, I'd trust the fortron 500w to have slightly better components. And of course, the paint job, and the sleeved wires (unlike the 450w) made the fortron 500w, to me, the better buy.

Thanks for the explanation ckj, I should have known to check the website more throughly. You are truly the MASTER of the obvious ;)

I was thinking (hoping) that they were identical units, one just dressed up prettier- like a chevy and caddy.

Back