• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with interesting speaker setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

So I need to connect 5-6 speakers or speaker sets (think el cheapo stereo computer speakers) to one radio, and it needs to be loud enough that you can hear it through a wall or floor. My friend and I are debating whether to buy a few sets of active speakers like these and using y connectors to plug them all into a radio, or using an external power amp and a bunch of passive speakers. It doesn't have to be good quality or extremely loud. Think "old person listening to classical music" volume level ( :D ) when heard through a wall or floor. Actives would be easier i think, but would the draw be too much for a boombox radio?

Planning to drive a neighbor crazy?
Get an old amp from off a curb or at a second hand store. Then go nuts with the speakers (it may fry the amp running at a low impedence with multiple sets of speakers, so you may want to be around to put the fire out)

Or find an old four channel amp that can take four sets of speakers. They are tough to come by but would do the trick.

Back