• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MK1, my first mod, need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Big One

after a long... long time... i gonna mod my case in less the 24 hours.
i got all the stuff i need to put in:
4 * 120 thunder blade
1 * cool drive 6
1 * musketeer
2 * temp LCD
and a lot more other stuff

heres my case
sa4001669qe.th.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sa4001669qe.jpg
sa4001624zl.th.jpg
http://img286.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sa4001624zl.jpg

what i'll try to do tommorow
is:
cut out the HDD CAGE
cut out the floppy cage
put a thin layer of mettal on the front and rear and make new 120 hole's

i also want to make a new cd cage, so i can use screws, and not the tool-less option. doe's any one know how to make a cd cage?

You will have to take the dimensions and be absolutely sure before you cut them out so that you can make a new one.

Why would you put a thin layer in the front and rear again? there are already fan slots. You can just cut out the fan grills.

i have no need for HDD and floppy cage... so they are OUT
i want to put a layer becouse of all the holes this case have in the front
+ i want to move the fans to the middle

What exactly do you plan on doing with the fans? As in, how many and where? Modding the fans in the front won't be too bad, but the back of the case is a lot more cramped for space and you really can't remove anything, so I'm interested to see how exactly you're gonna do this. Are you trying to put two 120mm fans in the back as well as the front then?
You need to be a little more specific.

As far as building drive cages, I have a suggestion, but I'm not sure if it will work with your setup as you will need the top drive bay to be empty. Basically, the easiest way I can think of would be to cut out the cage below the top drive bay space, so you are left with two pieces of metal sticking down from the top of the case that are an inch or so wide (as in they stick down about one inch from the top of the case/top of the drive bay area). Hopefully this is making a little bit of sense...
SO, then you make two pieces of polycarbonate or plexiglass (or whatever thick/rigid material you can find. A couple solid sheets of aluminum would work well too.)
the two pieces of plastic will be as wide as the drive cage, and as long as you need them to be to hold your drives. You drill like 4 holes in the top of each piece to attach to the remaining top pieces of the drive bay with some solid screws. Then you measure where you want the holes to attach the drives and drill them into the plastic. Then you attach the two plastic pieces to their respective "tabs" (the left over pieces of the drive cage that you left) at the top of the case and let the two long plastic pieces just sort of hang down. Then you just insert your drive(s) between the two pieces of plastic (or whatever material you ended up using) and secure them with the screws through the holes in the plastic that you measured and drilled earlier.

It may not be quite as strong, but as long as you don't plan on making your case do cart-wheels across your floor, I'd imagine it would hold up pretty well.

Hopefully that makes sense, lemme know if I need to clarify something.

EDIT: But I just thought about it, why would you need to make a new drive cage anyway?

Back