• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going from ATI to Nvidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkknight187

well as of now it looks like my xmas upgrade is going to be, a dfi sli mobo, an opteron 148, and a 7800gt the only problem is that i'm going to run into a driver conflict. so i'm wondering if it's even possible to run a machine with a card from each manufacturer in it (i have a pci radeon 7000 to support my monitor setup..) that i would much rather be able to just use as no heavy 3d is ever seen by the card...

worst case scenario is probably having to sell both the 7000 and the 9800 and pick up a cheap pcie 2nd card...maybe a 6600 or something i was just wondering if anybody had any testament to trying to do what i'm doing....

also yes it is an sli mobo......but no another 7800gt is most likely not an option....but if i can make it one i sure as hell will

No you won't be able, as you probably know about the problems members run into when going from one brand to the other, just imagine trying to run both drivers at the same time. You don't have to get a second pci-e card, just get a cheap nvidia pci card and that should work, or get a x1800xl instead.

Avg said:
No you won't be able, as you probably know about the problems members run into when going from one brand to the other, just imagine trying to run both drivers at the same time. You don't have to get a second pci-e card, just get a cheap nvidia pci card and that should work, or get a x1800xl instead.

That makes much better sense....but for some reason i didnt think that they were down to prices that low with the x1800xl's, but that would definately be a much cheaper solution in the long run.

Also i'm ready and preped for a fresh reformat, specially after my latest class where we've learned many good ways to keep a windows machine running as solid as possible.

You can find the x1800xl in the mid $300s but you can get a 7800gt for as low as $299, based on benchmarks and price I would suggest the 7800gt, but the x1800xl should be a lot more fun to overclock.

Avg said:
You can find the x1800xl in the mid $300s but you can get a 7800gt for as low as $299, based on benchmarks and price I would suggest the 7800gt, but the x1800xl should be a lot more fun to overclock.

well the budget killer stopped by and slapped me around a bit so it looks like i'll be settling with getting a x850xt as the powercolor is down to 260 @ the egg... but its better than what i have now which is why i didnt want to touch anything much lower.

Back