• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcarrera

Registered
I was hoping to get some advice on a video card. I'm building a system and I have a somewhat tight budget. I hope to spend no more than about $100 USD on a video card.

I am not really into gaming, but I do want 3D acceleration for the occasional game. Also, I run Linux. Most cards run well under Linux, but I'd like to stick to ATI and Geforce cards as those are well supported.

Thanks in advance.
Daniel.

ATI Raedon 32mb DDR LE...

They're 119 Canadian...(50-60 dollars USD)

Good performance.. and they match up to the Geforce 2 Pro.

i wouldnt be that positive about the performance of the Radeon LE, the performance is on par with a Geforce2Gts32mb and for under a hundred dollars this is a good choice, but with the Radeon 7500s coming out im sure that the prices of the Radeon64mbDDrVIVO will be going to 100$ soon.........youre best bet is either the Radeon LE(50$), or the Geforce2GTS(70-110$)....

What's the difference between a Radon LE and VE?
Is the difference worth it if you only play games occasionally?

Thanks.

dcarrera said:
What's the difference between a Radon LE and VE?
Is the difference worth it if you only play games occasionally?

Thanks.

they are entirley different cards.

LE: this card is OEM only. it's clocked at 148mhz and uses 6ns 128bit ddr ram. it does use a full radeon core, but hyper-z has to be enabled...either through software or a bios flash. if oced high enough, and hyper-z enabled then it can perform on par with a regular 32mb ddr radeon.

VE: this card is not marketed as a gamers card. it uses a mobile radeon core, which does not have a t&l engine and has only 1 rendering pipeline(where the normal radeon chip has 2). it is clocked at 183mhz and uses 64bit 5.5ns ram. it has dual display technology, through "hypervision", so you can use two displays at once with many options. 3d gaming is far from the performance of a radeon 32mb ddr.

Back