• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Return X2 For Opteron????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firstdegreeab

I just bought the 4800 x2 on newegg for $787. After reading more on the Opteron it looks like the better cpu for overclocking with active water cooling. If money were not the issue would you keep the 4800 or return and get the Opteron 175 or some other opteron?? And the Same question again but if you had to PAY for it.

Welcome to the Forums!

Well, one could return the X2 and get the Opteron 175, Now bear in mind that most places don't accept CPU returns after a week. So, you may be stuck with it. If I had the extra money, I'd do it and e-bay the X2.

But, also remember that there is very little difference between a high end Opteron and an X2 (same core, binned differently). It is towards the low end that the differences become starkly visible.

Edit*
Forgot to mention 512 x 2 Mb v/s 1Mb x 2 caches :)

Last edited:
In my opinion the dual core Opteron aren't nearly as impressive as the single core ones, or maybe I just got lucky and got a good x2.

Dual core opties of the week 0530tpmw OC up to 2.8-2.9ghz on AIR.

Pretty impressive, being a dual core and all.

I have an early X2, well early X2 3800+ that is.
I am happily running at 2.75GHz, and i am sure the core has more in it still

I Just ordered the 4800 x2 yesterday and they haven't even shipped it yet( so i could switch it). Also anyone heard of Patriot RAM,I bought 4gigs of it since they were out of the coarseair i wanted. I read all the reviews on newegg and everyone had good stuff to say about them. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220040. I know 4gigs is an overkill for gameing, but I do mostly CAD/CAM work, and with win x64 requiring twice the mem i thought i'd go the safe route.

if you plan on running 32bit WinXP you will have problems with windows only reading about 3.5GB of your RAM FYI...
So 64bit is really your only option.

As for the brand. No need to worry

Yes.

I just ordered an Operton 170 to replace my craptacular (damn core 0....can't get past 2.5 stable!) X2 4400+ that is soon to be on ebay.

And trust me, I did plenty or research and it definetly seems worth it. I finally may have a use for my xp-90c now!

But I would see how that 4800+ clocks out of sheer curiosity.

if you were asking to upgrade an existing x2 for an opteron, then i do not think it'd be worth it, but thats a new proc you bought there, if you can return it and get an opteron then go for it.

edma2 said:
Dual core opties of the week 0530tpmw OC up to 2.8-2.9ghz on AIR.

Pretty impressive, being a dual core and all.

Its true!!! had mine at 2.8Ghz for an entire day stable! :D

-=Ambush=- said:
Yes.

I just ordered an Operton 170 to replace my craptacular (damn core 0....can't get past 2.5 stable!) X2 4400+ that is soon to be on ebay.

And trust me, I did plenty or research and it definetly seems worth it. I finally may have a use for my xp-90c now!

Remind me not to buy an X2 off of ebay in the near future. :D

I'd say its a toss up. Since the 175 is only 200Mhz slower then the X2-4800, it might be worth it if u want to save a few bucks.

Otherwise they probably would clock very similar. I mean you can always resell the X2-4800 if you want on eBay.

-=Ambush=- said:
Yes.

Can you list some good points why one is better than the other from the research you did? I need to feel better about spending so much on my CPU :-/

4800s are a waste of money in my opinion. considering any of the X2s can clock to 2.4ghz with ease... =\

SteveLord said:
4800s are a waste of money in my opinion. considering any of the X2s can clock to 2.4ghz with ease... =\

Steve,

Any reason you don't have your Opteron OC'ed higher? :eh?:

A bird in hand is always worth more than two in the bush.

Since you already have that 1MBx2 L2 cached Toledo 4800 X2, you might as well give it a good tryout. Unless it barely goes past stock, you might be better off hanging on to it.

personaly id return it and get a single core oppy and some cool **** like full pelter setup for vga and cpu that would be fun to mess around with :)

Audioaficionado said:
A bird in hand is always worth more than two in the bush.

Since you already have that 1MBx2 L2 cached Toledo 4800 X2, you might as well give it a good tryout. Unless it barely goes past stock, you might be better off hanging on to it.
Agree. Also the 4800+ is the top of the line X2. It has a very high chance of clocking extremely well, very likely even better than plenty of Opterons.

bri1 said:
personaly id return it and get a single core oppy and some cool **** like full pelter setup for vga and cpu that would be fun to mess around with :)
Why would he want to trade in a great dual core SMP procesor just to screw around with a pelt setup? Once you've expirenced how smooth an SMP computer is, you'll never want to go back to a single.

Besides if you're going to freeze that chip, do it right with some phase change love.

Back