• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq Presario S4000 video upgrade time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
A co workers son wants to upgrade the video card and they wanted my recomendation

does anyone know what type of slot it has?

and if its agp what X it is

also if anyone has a good suggestion for a 100-200 dollar card i will be greatful
I was thinking of a:
ATI Radeon 8500 or GE Froce 3 or 4 mx series with 32 M of VRAM

Last edited:
what is he going to do with it? And I think you should find the info on about it's slots on compaq's website. Just to let you know stay very far away from the geforce4 mx4000 it is very slow.

Post your specs. You probably have a mobo with a 1x-4x 1.5v agp slot, which should be compatible with all the current agp cards..

dan

Based on what I can find on the Compaq (compcrap) site I'd bet it has onboard video and audio. The specs are not posted anywhere I can find, but based on the chassis size and low end spec it seems likely.

Your friend would be vastly better served by putting this system out of commission and buying a barebones (or better) setup with PCIe, a budget CPU and RAM. Something with a Sempron would cost little more than $200. He could migrate his software and drives over to save some money if needed. Unless he wants to play Windows Pinball that system doesn't look like it has the rocks to deal with anything more. :eek:

I've actually had some experience with o compaq of that series and there was seriously wrong with it, even after adding more ram it ran extremely slow.

consumer9000 said:
Based on what I can find on the Compaq (compcrap) site I'd bet it has onboard video and audio. The specs are not posted anywhere I can find, but based on the chassis size and low end spec it seems likely.

Your friend would be vastly better served by putting this system out of commission and buying a barebones (or better) setup with PCIe, a budget CPU and RAM. Something with a Sempron would cost little more than $200. He could migrate his software and drives over to save some money if needed. Unless he wants to play Windows Pinball that system doesn't look like it has the rocks to deal with anything more. :eek:

Normaly i would agree

but this isnt for a hardcore comptuer user
some time re inventing the wheel ( or in this case paying to re invent the wheel) is nto the best or most cost effective option

a simple video card should do the trick for the kid to play what ever game it is

Back