• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding a silent Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trey_w

I built and HTPC a couple of months ago and its louder than what I would like it to be. Can anyone recommend a PS for this system that will not be as loud as the one i have? I have to make sure it also fits my case as well.

I'm currently running the Silverstone Zeus SST-ST52F (500 watt) in a Silverstone LC10M HTPC case. According to their website the db on the PS has 2 x 80mm fans that will run at 22db minimum.

Thanks in advance

You don't mention what else that system is running, but the odds are good that for a HTPC depending how much is being run Seasonic's S12 units above 380w should do nicely.

You can also look at the Fotron fanless PSU its 350w, ThermalTake PurePower Silent PSU is also another option, its raited for 350 but its more like 280w in reality but its had no problem powering my overclocked XP-M for the last 2 years.

I apologize for the lack of information.

Intel 640 3.2Ghz (i usually do a bit of overclocking, normally run it at 3.6Ghz).
PC 5400 DDR2 OCZ performance Memory (overclocked as well)
ATI 850XT PE PCI Express Video card
Pioneer DVD R/RW
2 x SATA150 RAID 0 HDD
2 x 60mm case fans
1 x 80mm case fan
Cooler Master Vortex TX HSF

Just looked at the Seasonic website and they have a 400, 500, and 600 watt PS. I wonder just how silent they are. I hope i can find one locally instead of ordering one from the Internet.

i have a s12-600 and man, believe me when i say its silent. you really have to look at the fans or get RIGHT UP ON it to tell/hear if its on. quietest ive ever heard by a long shot. and rock stable rails to boot!

Sweet!!! thanks for the advice. I'll be out tomorrow to purchase the Seasonic. Now if I can only find someone to buy by Silverstone Zeus (its only 2 months old). Its a great PS but its to loud for HTPC

trey_w said:
Sweet!!! thanks for the advice. I'll be out tomorrow to purchase the Seasonic.

Considering the P4, I will amend my suggestions to go for the 500w or 600w S12 instead of the 380w or 430w :)

Back