• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this artifacting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

need4speed2009

Registered
I was curious if these were artifacts in the bottom of the doorway in this pic. I have noticed this in quite a few games with my X800GTO2. I have seen artifacts before so i know what they look like but they were usually in random places. In the games they are always in the seams where 2 textures meet. I have unlocked the pipes on this card but theres no overclock on it in that picture.

well, if those were floating over the floor texture or something, then they would defenitely be artifacts. i doubt those are though.

Thats what I was thinking. These appear in lots of places but are always in a perfectly straight line where the textures meet. I dont recall seeing them when I played Fear. Even on a high overclock they dont get any worse. If they were artifacts a high overclock should of froze the system.

I tried updating the video card drivers but no luck. I might need to just try a reformat. A few games are now having a stutter like issue too. Like every 3 seconds the game pauses for about a half a second. The framerate still stays high though.

that's just the end of one texture and the begining of a new one. Nothing to worry about here, just how the game produces graphics. You are fine :thup:

Yamiyanazz said:
that's just the end of one texture and the begining of a new one. Nothing to worry about here, just how the game produces graphics. You are fine :thup:

agreed. Now, if all those little dots were spread out over a single polygon, like the floor, then that would be overclocking. But its just two textures coming together, happens in all games if you look closely enough.

Thats kinda odd. I bought myself a new system and used to have a 6800GT. I would have kept that card but i needed a pci express card. The thing is I never seen this before in any game I played with my 6800GT. It sticks out way too bad with my X800GTO2. Its definately something I would have noticed before. I see it a lot in games like GTA and King Kong. I never seen it before in GTA with the 6800GT. Its really annoying crusing down the street and seeing a lot of seams like that on the road, in the water, where the bottom of the building meets the street. It all changes depending on the angle im looking at it. Sometimes there is only a few in the seam and sometimes a whole lot of dots. I just see a lot of flickering in the seams while on the move because of the constant change in motion and angles. Im a little shocked with the performance of this card too. Its odd I can get 6300 in 3dmark05 with an overclock. Average 50-60FPS in Fear at 1024/768 with the settings maxed 2x AA. I can barely pull off 1024/768 2xAA max settings on Need for Speed Most Wanted @ 40fps. I get about the same performance in stubbs the zombie at 1024/768 as need 4 speed. I hear ATI doesnt have quite as good of driver support so i guess that could be the case. The one thing I do love about ATI is the 2x AA looks like Nvidias 4x AA.

Well I cranked up the AA in GTA and its now totally gone in the doorway now. It helped loads. I seen a few seam problems while driving around but much less and the AA seemed to kill how bad the few remaining ones looked. It made it soo small in the areas that it did show that so its more like a really thin line thats not noticeable unless your really trying to find it. So thats good news. Also the every few second freeze I was talking about seemed to be one of the programs I had opened in the taskbar. Maybe Need4speed and Stubbs is just poor optimization and or driver issues. Thanks for the replys though guys.

Back