• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STASIS IceStorm NV7800 Series 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

consumer9000

Former STASIS Guy
Just an update on the incremental improvements to the IceStorm NV7800 VGA Coolers...

The most noticable changes are the shrouds, which are now beautifully Hard Anodized in a Matte Black and Cobalt Blue finish. They have grown slightly to further cover the power regulation circuitry.

Other tweaks include improvements to the shroud mounting arrangement to reduce the likelihood of damage in transit and the use of super sticky Seksui thermal tape on the machined ramsinks to ensure proper adhesion. For convienience, the screws used to mount the fan have been replaced with Phillips head parts (previous hex head units required .50 standard Allen wrenches).

Here's a shot of a unit in the new Cobalt Blue color:

Attachments

• IceStorm NV7800 03.jpg
    IceStorm NV7800 03.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 296
Looking downright stealthy in the new hard anodized Black... :D

Attachments

• IceStorm NV7800 11.jpg
    IceStorm NV7800 11.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 298
After being precision surface ground to within .0001" and then hand lapped down to 5 microns I am confident that these are the flattest, best finished heatsinks you can buy.

Attachments

• IceStorm NV7800 02.jpg
    IceStorm NV7800 02.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 289
Just because you can...
(80x38mm Delta >100CFM "Screaming Banshee")

Attachments

• IceStorm NV7800 15.jpg
    IceStorm NV7800 15.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 295
And just for fun... :cool:
(Evercool 80x25mm Tri-LED Fan ~35CFM)

Attachments

• IceStorm NV7800 20.jpg
    IceStorm NV7800 20.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 320
Careface said:
hand lapped to 5microns? how the **** did you do that? :| nice lookin' cobalt blue though :cool: looking forward to seeing some results.

To get it that flat, you have to first calibrate the heatsink in a precision vice setup on a piece of calibrated precision granite. Once seated, you cannot deviate from this fixture setup until complete to ensure consistency.
Then, with a surface grinder you take .001" at a time until the surface has been uniformly ground. A finish pass of .0005" or so will do. :eek:
After this, you take it to a calibrated lapping table and go to work. I usually start with 800 grit (wet with kerosene), 1200 grit, 2000 grit, and then finish it up with 2500 grit (with diamond lapping dust). Anything beyond this yields negligible gains given the already very high cost of this procedure... :-/

As for results, they are on par with the Series 1.0 units, aside from slightly lower board ambient temperatures. Expect between 30-40C Idle and 45-55C Load based on your ambient temps and fan settings. :)

consumer9000 said:
To get it that flat, you have to first calibrate the heatsink in a precision vice setup on a piece of calibrated precision granite. Once seated, you cannot deviate from this fixture setup until complete to ensure consistency.
Then, with a surface grinder you take .001" at a time until the surface has been uniformly ground. A finish pass of .0005" or so will do. :eek:
After this, you take it to a calibrated lapping table and go to work. I usually start with 800 grit (wet with kerosene), 1200 grit, 2000 grit, and then finish it up with 2500 grit (with diamond lapping dust). Anything beyond this yields negligible gains given the already very high cost of this procedure... :-/

As for results, they are on par with the Series 1.0 units, aside from slightly lower board ambient temperatures. Expect between 30-40C Idle and 45-55C Load based on your ambient temps and fan settings. :)

so basically the changes have been made to the shroud which is increasing flow ?

can I swap out my shroud lol

This isn't on topic - but knowing my luck i'll never get another chance to ask - the 6600GT cooler you do - a) do you still make them b) do you have any in stock c) will you still have them in Jan/Feb time and d) i dont suppose you want to donate one to a poor starving student do you? :D

BTW - nice finish on the 7800 heatsink....

how much are these things again.....i def want that blue one....

its soo sexy...and it would help my card which is heatin up a lil too much for my likeing

Hye guys i have the exact same HS and my fan just died. Im having trouble removing the fan becuase its stuck on there with allen wrench bolts. The smallest i have is 5/64 but the ones for the fan are even samller. Does anyone know the size of the ones for this HS?

Back