Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > General GPU
General GPU
Forum Jump

Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-05, 01:41 PM   #41
zetachi
Registered



Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC

 
narrowed it down to these two

Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO OEM (16pipe currenty, unlocks to XT PE but temps were more than i wanted at the time before i had good cooling) comes with ATI silencer 5, stock hsf and factory cables $160

Leadtek 6800nu w/ Arctic Silencer. Unlocks for me but YMMV. I first overclocked, then unlocked shader, then pipes if the order matters to you. I ran it stable at 402mhz core clock and 802mhz memory. That core clock speed is 2 mhz above the ultra! Great card, comes with all accessories that it shipped retail with expect Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell (Still has Big Mutha Truckers and Gunmetal). OC was done with coolbits, unlock with rivatuner. So you're getting the cooler, card, and 2 games for...

$165 shipped
__________________

__________________
Opteron 144
EPOX 9NDA3J
Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO unlocked to 16 pipes w/ Arctic Silencer 5
Patriot 2GB PC3200
WD 20GB, 30GB, 40GB HD's
Cooling Thermalright XP 90C
Antec True 550 PSU
zetachi is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-03-06, 06:27 AM   #42
emericanchaos
Member

 
emericanchaos's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Williamsport, PA

 
this is an awesome idea. great thread!

before we get into the meat of it, I'M UPGRADING FROM A RADEON 7500 64MB. it's time to bury this dinosaur (linux box).

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = xp1800 running 2.2Ghz 227FSB. could bump it back to 2.4 territory once i redo the Arctic Silver.

Motherboard = Abit NF7-S with some cooling mods
RAM =2x256 OCZ PC3500 at 227Mhz 2.3.3.5
PSU = Antec TP 550
etc = ask if you need anything else.

2) What is your budget?

budget depends on the recommendation. the potential problem i'm seeing is that i'm limited to AGP. if PCI express is so great i may dump the cash into a new setup based around a San Diego core and an asus a8n. if my little 1800 can hang then i'll get a nice AGP card that i could carry over to a new board assuming AGP isn't going to fully go away any time soon.

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card?

see #2

4) What will the new Video Card be used for?

--- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.

i almost bought a PNY Geforce 6200 for 79.99 after rebate at compusa but i figured i should confer with you guys and read a few articles before i drop any coin. i know about the etailers so please don't lecture about pricegrabber, froogle or newegg. it was completely impulse. afterall, we're talking about me still running a DX7 card! almost anything is better at this point.

__________________
xp4000+
crap MSI board
2GB XMMS
x700xt
not worth OCing with this board.
emericanchaos is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-03-06, 05:31 PM   #43
hondamanslim
Registered

 
hondamanslim's Avatar 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL

 
Question Decisions Decisions


My Desktop is as follows:
CPU = 3.0e Prescott overclocked to 3.6 using bios
Motherboard = Asus P4C 800-E Deluxe
RAM =2048MB total (2) Corsair TwinX1024 3200C2Pro
PSU = Ultra Xconnect 500w
Case = Lian LI PC7-B Plus with Dual 120mm fans
HD = Dual SATA WD Raptor 74 gig running raid 0


Looking for new video card. Current card = Ge-force FX 5600 256MB (Aopen )
Want to stay with AGP with this rig. The card I want is ATI X850 XT 256MB. Will i notice a large increase?? I can only play fear on the low video settings. Want to crank it up so should i get this card or stick with 6800 GT. If i go Nvidia is there one company which is better than others example: Asus vs BFG or PNY? No big plans for much overclocking as system runs whatever i want up to now. Can get a good deal on ATI so thats my motivator. I expect to spend up to 400 bucks max.

Please help!!
hondamanslim
hondamanslim is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-03-06, 06:55 PM   #44
fyshawk
Registered

 
fyshawk's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oshawa

 
Here are the specs of my system at the moment i am waiting for my X850 pro 256mb to come in from Best buy it is supose to come in this week end i just got the monitor today but not hooking it up till i get new vid card .I play a lot of first shooter
games and the card in my rig right now is a 9800 pro AIW card I am hoping to see a big increase in quailty of the games i play

Asus P4P800 E Deluxe
INTEL P4-3.2E GHZ 1M DIE CACHE 800MHZ FSB HYPER-THREADING
Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCu heat sink
2xWestern Digital Sata 160 Gig hard drive
4 x 512 OCZ Premier Series PC-3200 Dual Channel memory –Timming 2-5-3-3-7
Black LG DVD Burner 16x Dual Layer
Black 52x burner
Black floppy
Dual Voltage 6 Port Baybus w/ Blue/Red LED
Ps--500 watt Xconnect
Thermaltake VA3000BWA Tsunami-BLK
Dell Ultra Sharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor

__________________
Intel I7 950 / Water Cooling
Asus Rampage III Formula Rog X58/3 x 1Tb hard drives
12 gig Corsair Vengence 1600 3x4/SAphire 6970 2 gig
Corsair 800D case /750AX Corsair PSU/3x Samsung E2320 Lcds in Eyefinity

Heatware

144-0-0
fyshawk is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-03-06, 07:45 PM   #45
jcw122

 
jcw122's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emericanchaos
this is an awesome idea. great thread!

before we get into the meat of it, I'M UPGRADING FROM A RADEON 7500 64MB. it's time to bury this dinosaur (linux box).

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = xp1800 running 2.2Ghz 227FSB. could bump it back to 2.4 territory once i redo the Arctic Silver.

Motherboard = Abit NF7-S with some cooling mods
RAM =2x256 OCZ PC3500 at 227Mhz 2.3.3.5
PSU = Antec TP 550
etc = ask if you need anything else.

2) What is your budget?

budget depends on the recommendation. the potential problem i'm seeing is that i'm limited to AGP. if PCI express is so great i may dump the cash into a new setup based around a San Diego core and an asus a8n. if my little 1800 can hang then i'll get a nice AGP card that i could carry over to a new board assuming AGP isn't going to fully go away any time soon.

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card?

see #2

4) What will the new Video Card be used for?

--- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.

i almost bought a PNY Geforce 6200 for 79.99 after rebate at compusa but i figured i should confer with you guys and read a few articles before i drop any coin. i know about the etailers so please don't lecture about pricegrabber, froogle or newegg. it was completely impulse. afterall, we're talking about me still running a DX7 card! almost anything is better at this point.

First, I'd like to say to you that there is a very popular s939 (Athlon 64) board out right now that offers both the newest A64 socket, AGP, AND PCI-E connections, and that would be a prime option if you wanted to go smoothly from AGP to PCI-E so you don't need to spend $$$ on a whole nother video card immediately. Then again, this would be a socket upgrade so that is major. I'm just suggesting this as a future possibility.

Next, the 6200 isn't all that bad really, it's perfect for all 2D (desktop, non 3D) work, and it's in the low performance section for 3D, but if you want medium/high settings w/ 3D, it's not the way to go.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you didn't mention a price range, I'll throw out some different cards (I'll post avg. prices soon):

-ATI 9800Pro, I own one myself and I have to say it performs very well for games like CS:Source and HL2, on CS:S it handles High settings just fine, and HL2's water pushes it down to medium/high mixed settings.

-nVidia 6600GT, performs slightly above the 9800Pro, has the newest ShaderModel which no AGP cards of ATi have right now, would be an excellent upgrade from your card and could also handle a very nice amount of games out now but then again, the ShaderModel 3 is only used in real recent stuff.

-nVidia 6800GT, performs much better than the 9800Pro, and is obviously more expensive. It's newer technology and can handle a great amount more than the 9800Pro.

-Out and Out Best Performance for AGP? ATI's x850XT or nVidia's 6800Ultra. I myself would pick the 6800U over the ATI. The 6800U (and the entire 6x00 series cards) has ShaderModel3 for all the newest games that use it.

__________________
"YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!"
Folding for Team 32!
Gaming Nick: new_Faction64 or CharminULTRA
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0Ghz@2.2Ghz (was 2.4) Socket 754, VENICE
Memory-Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB @ 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5
Motherboard-No Idea My DFI Died
Video Card-MSI ATI 9800XT---412/390(was 424/395)---w00t! Flashed
PSU-Forton Blue Storm 500w

Currently Air Cooled w/ Scythe Ninja and AC VGA Silencer
R.I.P. Project: Humidity
Heatware
jcw122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-03-06, 08:01 PM   #46
jcw122

 
jcw122's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamanslim
My Desktop is as follows:
CPU = 3.0e Prescott overclocked to 3.6 using bios
Motherboard = Asus P4C 800-E Deluxe
RAM =2048MB total (2) Corsair TwinX1024 3200C2Pro
PSU = Ultra Xconnect 500w
Case = Lian LI PC7-B Plus with Dual 120mm fans
HD = Dual SATA WD Raptor 74 gig running raid 0


Looking for new video card. Current card = Ge-force FX 5600 256MB (Aopen )
Want to stay with AGP with this rig. The card I want is ATI X850 XT 256MB. Will i notice a large increase?? I can only play fear on the low video settings. Want to crank it up so should i get this card or stick with 6800 GT. If i go Nvidia is there one company which is better than others example: Asus vs BFG or PNY? No big plans for much overclocking as system runs whatever i want up to now. Can get a good deal on ATI so thats my motivator. I expect to spend up to 400 bucks max.

Please help!!
hondamanslim
Yeah that would be a pretty massive increase. I'll also add that if you buy it retail, up until 1/31/06 (end of the month) ATI has a $50 Mail-In Rebate for it...I think there is one at mwave for $350, so -50=$300 for a very sweet card. And a damn good price for it.

Rebate Link: http://www.microcenter.com/rebates/r...phtml?id=22030

__________________
"YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!"
Folding for Team 32!
Gaming Nick: new_Faction64 or CharminULTRA
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0Ghz@2.2Ghz (was 2.4) Socket 754, VENICE
Memory-Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB @ 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5
Motherboard-No Idea My DFI Died
Video Card-MSI ATI 9800XT---412/390(was 424/395)---w00t! Flashed
PSU-Forton Blue Storm 500w

Currently Air Cooled w/ Scythe Ninja and AC VGA Silencer
R.I.P. Project: Humidity
Heatware
jcw122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-03-06, 08:24 PM   #47
jcw122

 
jcw122's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshawk
Here are the specs of my system at the moment i am waiting for my X850 pro 256mb to come in from Best buy it is supose to come in this week end i just got the monitor today but not hooking it up till i get new vid card .I play a lot of first shooter
games and the card in my rig right now is a 9800 pro AIW card I am hoping to see a big increase in quailty of the games i play

Asus P4P800 E Deluxe
INTEL P4-3.2E GHZ 1M DIE CACHE 800MHZ FSB HYPER-THREADING
Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCu heat sink
2xWestern Digital Sata 160 Gig hard drive
4 x 512 OCZ Premier Series PC-3200 Dual Channel memory –Timming 2-5-3-3-7
Black LG DVD Burner 16x Dual Layer
Black 52x burner
Black floppy
Dual Voltage 6 Port Baybus w/ Blue/Red LED
Ps--500 watt Xconnect
Thermaltake VA3000BWA Tsunami-BLK
Dell Ultra Sharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor
Affirmative, you should see a real nice improvement. BTW, I don't know a ton on LCD's but I know that monitor is THE monitor to get, congrats and happy gaming w/ those babies!

__________________
"YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!"
Folding for Team 32!
Gaming Nick: new_Faction64 or CharminULTRA
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0Ghz@2.2Ghz (was 2.4) Socket 754, VENICE
Memory-Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB @ 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5
Motherboard-No Idea My DFI Died
Video Card-MSI ATI 9800XT---412/390(was 424/395)---w00t! Flashed
PSU-Forton Blue Storm 500w

Currently Air Cooled w/ Scythe Ninja and AC VGA Silencer
R.I.P. Project: Humidity
Heatware
jcw122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-03-06, 08:27 PM   #48
jcw122

 
jcw122's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetachi
narrowed it down to these two

Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO OEM (16pipe currenty, unlocks to XT PE but temps were more than i wanted at the time before i had good cooling) comes with ATI silencer 5, stock hsf and factory cables $160

Leadtek 6800nu w/ Arctic Silencer. Unlocks for me but YMMV. I first overclocked, then unlocked shader, then pipes if the order matters to you. I ran it stable at 402mhz core clock and 802mhz memory. That core clock speed is 2 mhz above the ultra! Great card, comes with all accessories that it shipped retail with expect Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell (Still has Big Mutha Truckers and Gunmetal). OC was done with coolbits, unlock with rivatuner. So you're getting the cooler, card, and 2 games for...

$165 shipped
__________________
Man where are you finding these awesome deals? I honestly don't know which of those cards is better, but I'm leaning towards the x800Pro, so I'd say google for some benchmarks and real world results (FPS comparisons)

__________________
"YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!"
Folding for Team 32!
Gaming Nick: new_Faction64 or CharminULTRA
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0Ghz@2.2Ghz (was 2.4) Socket 754, VENICE
Memory-Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB @ 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5
Motherboard-No Idea My DFI Died
Video Card-MSI ATI 9800XT---412/390(was 424/395)---w00t! Flashed
PSU-Forton Blue Storm 500w

Currently Air Cooled w/ Scythe Ninja and AC VGA Silencer
R.I.P. Project: Humidity
Heatware
jcw122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 02:07 AM   #49
emericanchaos
Member

 
emericanchaos's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Williamsport, PA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122
First, I'd like to say to you that there is a very popular s939 (Athlon 64) board out right now that offers both the newest A64 socket, AGP, AND PCI-E connections, and that would be a prime option if you wanted to go smoothly from AGP to PCI-E so you don't need to spend $$$ on a whole nother video card immediately. Then again, this would be a socket upgrade so that is major. I'm just suggesting this as a future possibility.

Next, the 6200 isn't all that bad really, it's perfect for all 2D (desktop, non 3D) work, and it's in the low performance section for 3D, but if you want medium/high settings w/ 3D, it's not the way to go.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you didn't mention a price range, I'll throw out some different cards (I'll post avg. prices soon):

-ATI 9800Pro, I own one myself and I have to say it performs very well for games like CS:Source and HL2, on CS:S it handles High settings just fine, and HL2's water pushes it down to medium/high mixed settings.

-nVidia 6600GT, performs slightly above the 9800Pro, has the newest ShaderModel which no AGP cards of ATi have right now, would be an excellent upgrade from your card and could also handle a very nice amount of games out now but then again, the ShaderModel 3 is only used in real recent stuff.

-nVidia 6800GT, performs much better than the 9800Pro, and is obviously more expensive. It's newer technology and can handle a great amount more than the 9800Pro.

-Out and Out Best Performance for AGP? ATI's x850XT or nVidia's 6800Ultra. I myself would pick the 6800U over the ATI. The 6800U (and the entire 6x00 series cards) has ShaderModel3 for all the newest games that use it.
you're awesome. the 6800 GT is too much of a price hike over the 6600 so i'll stop at the 6600. i feel the 6600 will make my CPU the bottleneck of the machine and should be enough to hold me over until i move into a 64 bit machine.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150089 how's this card do? is XFX a good name? i picked it because i need dual DVI's because i run dual monitors and will be replacing my secondary monitor (CRT) with a flat panel in the future.

__________________
xp4000+
crap MSI board
2GB XMMS
x700xt
not worth OCing with this board.
emericanchaos is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 03:05 AM Thread Starter   #50
LogRus
Member

 
LogRus's Avatar 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Seattle, WA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122
Yeah that would be a pretty massive increase. I'll also add that if you buy it retail, up until 1/31/06 (end of the month) ATI has a $50 Mail-In Rebate for it...I think there is one at mwave for $350, so -50=$300 for a very sweet card. And a damn good price for it.

Rebate Link: http://www.microcenter.com/rebates/r...phtml?id=22030
Hmm, I wouldn't hurry to get that card. Sure it is a very nice card, but There have been deals going for ~ $200. Not to mention that you can get a 7800GT for around $265 these days and it can easily outrun the X850XT. It isn't AGP, but like jcw122 mentioned, there are some motherboards that support both interfaces as well as older ram and other older component and they're cheap, so I'd probably go with it for the budget you have hondamanslim, unless you just need a card that'll hold you on untill you decide to completelly move to a PCI-E system. In that case I would'nt be spending more than $250, but that's just me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by emericanchaos
you're awesome. the 6800 GT is too much of a price hike over the 6600 so i'll stop at the 6600. i feel the 6600 will make my CPU the bottleneck of the machine and should be enough to hold me over until i move into a 64 bit machine.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...N82E16814150089 how's this card do? is XFX a good name? i picked it because i need dual DVI's because i run dual monitors and will be replacing my secondary monitor (CRT) with a flat panel in the future.
XFX is a good brand and if I'm not mistaken they have Lifetime warranty as well as "Double Lifetime" warranty which allows you to sell the card w/the warranty still being active. And it seems like this card is just for you, also, I've seen many of 6600GT's being on sale in our Classifieds for pretty cheap, so I'd keep an eye on them and maybe you can get yourself a better deal .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw122
Man where are you finding these awesome deals? I honestly don't know which of those cards is better, but I'm leaning towards the x800Pro, so I'd say google for some benchmarks and real world results (FPS comparisons)
I'll second that. Looks like those too cards fit zetachi's budget and I'd rather chose the X800Pro ViVo over the 6800nu. And I'm also interested on which forums you get those deals?

__________________
-| Core i7 920 | ASRock Exterme 2 | 12GB G.Skill | 2x Intel SSD 120GB in RAID0 | 2x 1TB in RAID1 | ATi 4890 1GB |-
-| 15" MacBook Pro | Core i7 2.2Ghz | 8GB | 300GB Intel SSD | 6470 1GB ATi |-

Looking for a NEW card? Need help? LooK HERE!

"That's a Volga. It's the real man's car. I used to have one with a body entirely out of steel. Thick steel. The fuel economy sucked, but I think it was bulletproof." - Pavr, some guy from Fark whom JoT knows.
My Heatware
LogRus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 02:43 PM   #51
jcw122

 
jcw122's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA

 
Woops, my bad I forgot about sockets, like PCI-E exist (oh boy). Thanks LogRus, it's nice having two of us to tweak or argue the other's suggestions, makes for better decision making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emericanchaos
you're awesome. the 6800 GT is too much of a price hike over the 6600 so i'll stop at the 6600. i feel the 6600 will make my CPU the bottleneck of the machine and should be enough to hold me over until i move into a 64 bit machine.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814150089 how's this card do? is XFX a good name? i picked it because i need dual DVI's because i run dual monitors and will be replacing my secondary monitor (CRT) with a flat panel in the future.
Yes XFX is a good name, so is Evga (both for nVidia cards), and that card should run well.

__________________
"YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!"
Folding for Team 32!
Gaming Nick: new_Faction64 or CharminULTRA
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0Ghz@2.2Ghz (was 2.4) Socket 754, VENICE
Memory-Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB @ 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5
Motherboard-No Idea My DFI Died
Video Card-MSI ATI 9800XT---412/390(was 424/395)---w00t! Flashed
PSU-Forton Blue Storm 500w

Currently Air Cooled w/ Scythe Ninja and AC VGA Silencer
R.I.P. Project: Humidity
Heatware
jcw122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 05:39 PM   #52
fyshawk
Registered

 
fyshawk's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oshawa

 
Quote:
Originally posted by jcw122
Affirmative, you should see a real nice improvement. BTW, I don't know a ton on LCD's but I know that monitor is THE monitor to get, congrats and happy gaming w/ those babies!
Thanks jcw122 I can't wait till I get everything set up this week end as long as my vid card does'nt take any longer to come in.I will keep you posted on how everthing is I am most likely going to try and oc my vid card I am looking in to that now but cant really do anything until it is in my machine then i can get more info on it as some you cant oc

__________________
Intel I7 950 / Water Cooling
Asus Rampage III Formula Rog X58/3 x 1Tb hard drives
12 gig Corsair Vengence 1600 3x4/SAphire 6970 2 gig
Corsair 800D case /750AX Corsair PSU/3x Samsung E2320 Lcds in Eyefinity

Heatware

144-0-0
fyshawk is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 06:28 PM   #53
Randyman...
Member

 
Randyman...'s Avatar 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX

 
I need a Video Card reccomendation from the masters. I'll be building a 955 Chipset/640 P4 system VERY soon (like this week), and I need some good reccomendations. Here are my replies to the standardized Questions:

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = P4 LGA775 640J (3.2GHz, 2MB L2, will OC to about 4GHz or so with XP-120 HSF)
Motherboard = Asus P5WD2 Premium 955x/ICH7R
RAM = 2GB (2x 1Gig) Geil DDR2-533 (running 1:1 at approx ~275FSB for DDR2-550 RAM Speed)
PSU = OCZ Powerstream 520 SLI (yes!)
2x 36Gig Raptors in RAID-0 OS Drive; 300Gig SATA for DATA



2) What is your budget?

$130-$175 max.

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card?

1-2 Years

4) What will the new Video Card be used for?
- a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!
- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.
- c) A cheap-o card on which I might be able to game sometimes, not much power needed.
- d) My grandpa wouldn't care what kind of a card it is, but he'd like to watch DVD's.

Pretty much in-between "B" and "C" for me. I'm not a gamer, but I run my Desktop at 1200x1600 via DVI into my Dell 2000FP. I would like to be ABLE to play games with some eye-candy just in case I get bitten by the "Gaming Bug". I would also like to be compatible with Vista, but I will initially install XP-Pro on my new rig for a long time (I'm in no hurry to goto Vista, but I would like the option as far as Video-Card compatibility). 256 bit memory would be nice, but for my $150 budget, I'm willing to compromise to 128 bit if needed...

Also, I would like a quiet card. Passive is an option, but I think I will end up with a card with a QUIET fan. I don't plan on overclocking the card, but it would be a nice option to have. I DON'T want a loud card!!!

As a current reference, I run a Radeon 9800Pro with 128MB of 256Bit RAM (PC #1 in my Sig), and it is all I really need. DVI + VGA outs, or Dual DVI outs are needed as well.

I was eying an Asus 6600/256MB card that is passively cooled for about $125: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814121199 . Any suggestions there?

Thanks - all mighty Gods of Video-Card Technology!


__________________
Randy V - Audio-Dude/Musician/PC Guru/Crazy Guy

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's
Randyman... is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 06:47 PM   #54
LordDarik
Member

 
LordDarik's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: General Hardware

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman...
I need a Video Card reccomendation from the masters. I'll be building a 955 Chipset/640 P4 system VERY soon (like this week), and I need some good reccomendations. Here are my replies to the standardized Questions:

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = P4 LGA775 640J (3.2GHz, 2MB L2, will OC to about 4GHz or so with XP-120 HSF)
Motherboard = Asus P5WD2 Premium 955x/ICH7R
RAM = 2GB (2x 1Gig) Geil DDR2-533 (running 1:1 at approx ~275FSB for DDR2-550 RAM Speed)
PSU = OCZ Powerstream 520 SLI (yes!)
2x 36Gig Raptors in RAID-0 OS Drive; 300Gig SATA for DATA



2) What is your budget?

$130-$175 max.

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card?

1-2 Years

4) What will the new Video Card be used for?
- a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!
- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.
- c) A cheap-o card on which I might be able to game sometimes, not much power needed.
- d) My grandpa wouldn't care what kind of a card it is, but he'd like to watch DVD's.

Pretty much in-between "B" and "C" for me. I'm not a gamer, but I run my Desktop at 1200x1600 via DVI into my Dell 2000FP. I would like to be ABLE to play games with some eye-candy just in case I get bitten by the "Gaming Bug". I would also like to be compatible with Vista, but I will initially install XP-Pro on my new rig for a long time (I'm in no hurry to goto Vista, but I would like the option as far as Video-Card compatibility). 256 bit memory would be nice, but for my $150 budget, I'm willing to compromise to 128 bit if needed...

Also, I would like a quiet card. Passive is an option, but I think I will end up with a card with a QUIET fan. I don't plan on overclocking the card, but it would be a nice option to have. I DON'T want a loud card!!!

As a current reference, I run a Radeon 9800Pro with 128MB of 256Bit RAM (PC #1 in my Sig), and it is all I really need. DVI + VGA outs, or Dual DVI outs are needed as well.

I was eying an Asus 6600/256MB card that is passively cooled for about $125: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814121199 . Any suggestions there?

Thanks - all mighty Gods of Video-Card Technology!

I think the passively-cooled 6600GT by Gigabyte would be great for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125175
LordDarik is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 06:51 PM   #55
Randyman...
Member

 
Randyman...'s Avatar 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX

 
Awsome! I was looking at that card, too. I should have good case airflow (3x 120mm fans at low/quiet speeds), and the fact that I won't need to OC the card should help in the Temperature department.

How much will the 128-bit RAM hurt me for my limited applications (probably none, huh?)?

That 6600GT is now on my Wishlist with the rest of the PC (to be purchased very soon). Thanks for the reccomendation


__________________
Randy V - Audio-Dude/Musician/PC Guru/Crazy Guy

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's
Randyman... is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 06:52 PM   #56
jcw122

 
jcw122's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDarik
I think the passively-cooled 6600GT by Gigabyte would be great for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125175
He said he has a 9800Pro though, don't 6600GT's only run slightly faster than 9800Pros?

__________________
"YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!"
Folding for Team 32!
Gaming Nick: new_Faction64 or CharminULTRA
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0Ghz@2.2Ghz (was 2.4) Socket 754, VENICE
Memory-Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB @ 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5
Motherboard-No Idea My DFI Died
Video Card-MSI ATI 9800XT---412/390(was 424/395)---w00t! Flashed
PSU-Forton Blue Storm 500w

Currently Air Cooled w/ Scythe Ninja and AC VGA Silencer
R.I.P. Project: Humidity
Heatware
jcw122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 06:55 PM   #57
Randyman...
Member

 
Randyman...'s Avatar 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX

 
Well, I never really use 1/2 of my 9800 Pro's power, so as long as the 6600GT is better (even a little bit) it should be fine & dandy. I am curious on the effects of slower 256Bit RAM (like my 9800-Pro) opposed to faster DDR3 128Bit RAM (like the 6600GT). Does the increase in speed make-up for the loss of bit-size?

I'll gladly take ANY more suggestions, too! No higher than ~$175... To be ordered VERY soon...

Thanks

__________________
Randy V - Audio-Dude/Musician/PC Guru/Crazy Guy

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's
Randyman... is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 06:55 PM   #58
jcw122

 
jcw122's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman...
Awsome! I was looking at that card, too. I should have good case airflow (3x 120mm fans at low/quiet speeds), and the fact that I won't need to OC the card should help in the Temperature department.

How much will the 128-bit RAM hurt me for my limited applications (probably none, huh?)?

That 6600GT is now on my Wishlist with the rest of the PC (to be purchased very soon). Thanks for the reccomendation

I'm pretty sure 128-bit RAM is a medium/big performance hit, but since you said your arn't doing a whole lot of gaming, I'm not too sure. I'd suggest finding some benchmarks and figuring out actually how much 128-RAM hurts compared to 256-bit RAM, cause I always thought the performance was much worse.


BTW, the 6600 256-bit 256MB would probably not be better than the 9800Pro

__________________
"YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!!!"
Folding for Team 32!
Gaming Nick: new_Faction64 or CharminULTRA
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0Ghz@2.2Ghz (was 2.4) Socket 754, VENICE
Memory-Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB @ 220mhz 2.5-2-2-5
Motherboard-No Idea My DFI Died
Video Card-MSI ATI 9800XT---412/390(was 424/395)---w00t! Flashed
PSU-Forton Blue Storm 500w

Currently Air Cooled w/ Scythe Ninja and AC VGA Silencer
R.I.P. Project: Humidity
Heatware
jcw122 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-04-06, 07:05 PM   #59
Randyman...
Member

 
Randyman...'s Avatar 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX

 
Man. I am so out of the loop on Video Cards . Even the previously mentioned 6600GT @ 500MHz GPU, and 128MB of DDR3 RAM at 1120MHz won't beat my old Radeon 9800-Pro with 128 MB of 256-Bit RAM?

I bought the 9800-Pro used, so I guess I didn't realize how expensive that card actually was. I just figured that a "Current" equivalent card would be LOTS cheaper, since the 9800-Pro is quite a few years old now (it seems like a 3GHz P4 CPU was about $1000 not too long ago, ya know?).

At any rate, what WILL it take to at least match the performance of my current 9800-Pro at stock speeds (a quiet fan is still a requirement).

Thanks for your direction. I'm an Audio dude - so my Video Card chops are non-existant


__________________
Randy V - Audio-Dude/Musician/PC Guru/Crazy Guy

PC#1 (Main Rig) : Lian Li PC-V1010 / P8Z68-V-GEN3 / 3750K @ 4.5GHz + Ven-X / 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 / HD5770 "XXX" 1GB / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / (6x) 2TB 5K3000 on Areca ARC1222 in RAID-6 / Seasonic X660 PSU / 2407WFP-HC / RME "Multiface" 38 Ch. Audio I/O / Dynaudio AIR-15 + AIR-BASE-2 Studio Monitors
PC#2 (Realtime DAW) : Lian-Li PC-K65B / Sabertooth X79 / i7-3820 @ 4.8GHz + TRUE / 8GB RipJaws DDR3-2133 / HD6570 / 120GB Intel 520 / 4x 1TB on Areca ARC-1210 in RAID-5 / RME "HDSPe MADI" 128 Channel Audio I/O / 2x SSL AlphaLink MADI AX / 48 Mic Inputs + Fully-discrete Mic Preamps + 4260Watt PA System with 5x 18" JBL Subs :-)
NAS#1: NSC-800 ITX Case / Asus P8H61-ITX / i3-2120 / (8x) 1TB 7200.12's in RAID-6 on Areca ARC-1220 Card
NAS#2: 12TB ReadyNAS Ultra-4+ / (4x) 3TB 5K3000's
And 7 other i7/i5/C2D/C2Q PC's
Randyman... is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-05-06, 01:26 AM Thread Starter   #60
LogRus
Member

 
LogRus's Avatar 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Seattle, WA

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman...
Man. I am so out of the loop on Video Cards . Even the previously mentioned 6600GT @ 500MHz GPU, and 128MB of DDR3 RAM at 1120MHz won't beat my old Radeon 9800-Pro with 128 MB of 256-Bit RAM?

I bought the 9800-Pro used, so I guess I didn't realize how expensive that card actually was. I just figured that a "Current" equivalent card would be LOTS cheaper, since the 9800-Pro is quite a few years old now (it seems like a 3GHz P4 CPU was about $1000 not too long ago, ya know?).

At any rate, what WILL it take to at least match the performance of my current 9800-Pro at stock speeds (a quiet fan is still a requirement).

Thanks for your direction. I'm an Audio dude - so my Video Card chops are non-existant

Well, there are a couple cards I find that would be great for you:

1) Cheap/Completely Silent/Perfectly fits the budget = Gigabyte 6600GT suggested by LordDarik here @ $158: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125175

2) Considerably cheap/ Has some chance of unlocking the pipes/shaders (or are they locked on PCI-E cards now?)/fits your budget = MSI Geforce 6800nu 128MB @ $140 AFTER $30 rebate. The only drawback is that its loud when gaming, but you can just buy the Silencer and it'll become silent.
LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127179
Here's a link to the Unlocking the pipes guide: http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/ (**NOTE: Somebody please confirm that the pipes aren't locked by the hardware on the PCI-E boards nowadays..)

3) This is my personal favorite for the budget/Great overclockabitlitly/HDTV Support/PS 3.0/ almost as good as 6800GT for less = eVGA 256-P2-N386 Geforce 6800GS 256MB @ $189 (TODAY ONLY! after $10 instant savings). Again, the only drawback is its not very silent when gaming but bearable and you can always get a Silencer for it.
LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130258

4) Now here's where I have a problem. I've been informed with all the Nvidia card's prices and such, but I don't know about all the ATi's pricing. I find that X800GT is somewhat like 6800nu overclocked, and almost like X800Pro and @ $149 That shouldn't be that bad? Also note that if your whole system is almost silent, this card might be the loudest.

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102575

5) But then I found SAPPHIRE Radeon X800GTO Ultimate 256MB which seems to be very silent. @ $169 this shouldn't be a bad deal, but its REFURBISHED!

---Also I believe this is the card on which you could unlock the pipes and OC to get almost X800XTPE performance. But I think R480 core would be required to do the mod. <<< Somebody please verify that I am correct/incorrect on this^^^. I haven't been very up-to-date with the modding ATi cards lately...

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814102628R

//And as always PS3.0 is supported by nVidia's 6th series while X800's from ATi doesn't (X1x00 series do have it though, although at a higher price), but that's not so major ATM... at least IMO.

__________________
-| Core i7 920 | ASRock Exterme 2 | 12GB G.Skill | 2x Intel SSD 120GB in RAID0 | 2x 1TB in RAID1 | ATi 4890 1GB |-
-| 15" MacBook Pro | Core i7 2.2Ghz | 8GB | 300GB Intel SSD | 6470 1GB ATi |-

Looking for a NEW card? Need help? LooK HERE!

"That's a Volga. It's the real man's car. I used to have one with a body entirely out of steel. Thick steel. The fuel economy sucked, but I think it was bulletproof." - Pavr, some guy from Fark whom JoT knows.
My Heatware

Last edited by LogRus; 01-05-06 at 02:39 AM.
LogRus is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > General GPU
General GPU
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Mobile Skin
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
You can add these icons by updating your profile information to include your Heatware ID, Benching Profile ID or your Folding/SETI profile ID. Edit your profile!
X

Welcome to Overclockers.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this the best community on the Internet since 1998!


(4 digit year)

Why Join Us?

  • Share experience
  • Max out your hardware
  • Best forum members anywhere
  • Customized forum experience

Already a member?