• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What core is this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
I just got a X800GT PCI-E, popped off the heatsink, and it doesn't appear to be an R423, R430, or R480. I can't provide a picture since my camera can't take a picture that close at a great quality but I do have the number code. Here it goes:

215RBMAGA12F
GG1179.1
0531AA
TAIWAN

Is it an R531 core if one exists? There are absolutely no R4** markins whatsoever. BTW, it's a Sapphire card.

What post were you looking at where it describes the core type? I already knew that via a hardmod, you could unlock pipelines, I just wasn't sure about the core.

X800.png

;)

Okay, but if you guys didn't know, they make X800GT cards with R423, R430, and R480 cores so ATItool doesn't always tell your which core you really have since it just reads it off the BIOS. The only real way to tell is by looking at the core on the card. So, thats why I posted here asking if this was the R531 core since it didn't have any R4** series posted on the core. Also, the RAM says "Samsung 531" on it.

ghost_recon88 said:
Okay, but if you guys didn't know, they make X800GT cards with R423, R430, and R480 cores so ATItool doesn't always tell your which core you really have since it just reads it off the BIOS. The only real way to tell is by looking at the core on the card. So, thats why I posted here asking if this was the R531 core since it didn't have any R4** series posted on the core. Also, the RAM says "Samsung 531" on it.
it's def not an R5XX card. im willing to bet it's what that table i posted says.

So then, I would want to know for sure if it was an R423 or R480. Lets say I can only get 12 pipelines open (16 would be nice but the odds aren't great), would I flash this to an X850 Pro (for higher clock speeds) or keep it at an X800GT which has higher speeds than the X800 Pro I believe. It does kinda matter in the long run whether or not this is an R423 or R480 because each is a different series of card. One of the X800 family and the other X850.

Actually on the core, it says X800GT. So, I guess it would be an R423. What would be the worse that could happen if I flashed it to an X850 Pro assuming I could hit those speeds? Would the text be all corrupt? I think I would flash it to an X850 Pro to tell if it's really an R480 or not, then, if it isn't, then keep it at a GT.

ghost_recon88 said:
Actually on the core, it says X800GT. So, I guess it would be an R423. What would be the worse that could happen if I flashed it to an X850 Pro assuming I could hit those speeds? Would the text be all corrupt? I think I would flash it to an X850 Pro to tell if it's really an R480 or not, then, if it isn't, then keep it at a GT.

There is now way to open pipes on GT's by flashing, no matter the core ,AFAIK (well, only a couple did , but those had R430 ¨x800xl¨core which is extinct on GT's now)....

The only way to open pipes is via hardmod... no flash needed for 12pp..

The worse that can happen if you flash is that you end up with a card that boots at different speeds(provided you use a BIOS with matching RAM)... No more PP, trust me ;)

If your core has these solder points, then it's an R423

x800gt_8pipe_s.jpg

dan

Thats what I mean, sorry for the confusion. I knew there was no way to open them up via a flash, I meant a flash after I hardmodded it. Okay, since everyone is so set that it's an R423, can you explain to me the X800GTs people have gotten that have R480 cores and are laser-cut? Also, the people with the R480 GTs has succesfully hardmodded their cards to 16 pipelines.

ghost_recon88 said:
Thats what I mean, sorry for the confusion. I knew there was no way to open them up via a flash, I meant a flash after I hardmodded it. Okay, since everyone is so set that it's an R423, can you explain to me the X800GTs people have gotten that have R480 cores and are laser-cut? Also, the people with the R480 GTs has succesfully hardmodded their cards to 16 pipelines.

AFAIK it's not possible to open up any pp on x800gt's with R480... I've read through tons of pages, and found nothing about it :shrug: ...... Don't know how that core is locked...

12pp seems the best most people have HMed the x800gt's to.... 16pp is possible, but success chances are low..

Here is the process I know to HMod a R423 x800gt-

Connect yellow contacts on the picture, no flash needed....if done right, it should show 12pp on rivatuner...

To try and open 16pp... the red circuit needs to be closed.... and the card flashed to a suitable BIOS (x800xt PCI-E with 2 ns Samsung)

The best cards for modding were the old, first release ones... don't know the chances of unlocking the newer ones..

dan

Dan0512 said:
AFAIK it's not possible to open up any pp on x800gt's with R480... I've read through tons of pages, and found nothing about it :shrug: ...... Don't know how that core is locked...

12pp seems the best most people have HMed the x800gt's to.... 16pp is possible, but success chances are low..

Here is the process I know to HMod a R423 x800gt-

Connect yellow contacts on the picture, no flash needed....if done right, it should show 12pp on rivatuner...

To try and open 16pp... the red circuit needs to be closed.... and the card flashed to a suitable BIOS (x800xt PCI-E with 2 ns Samsung)

The best cards for modding were the old, first release ones... don't know the chances of unlocking the newer ones..

dan

Okay, what do you mean by "the red circuit needs to be closed"? Is that done the same way you connect the the yellow ones, by conductive paint? I just popped this in my friends comp and sure enough, it is an R423 core, and it overclocks to XT speeds easily. It sure will be nice if I can get all 16 pipelines open.

ghost_recon88 said:
Okay, what do you mean by "the red circuit needs to be closed"? Is that done the same way you connect the the yellow ones, by conductive paint? I just popped this in my friends comp and sure enough, it is an R423 core, and it overclocks to XT speeds easily. It sure will be nice if I can get all 16 pipelines open.

Yes, that's what I mean. But bear in mind that the chances of opening all 16pp are quite slim..

dan

Back