• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you tell me what this means?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Allright well I have been battling Bell (DSL provider in Montreal) over our internet connection for almost 2 months now. They finally fixed our line so we are actually at the 5000 down speed that we are supposed to be at but when I play CS I am getting huge Lag spikes.

Now I went into the mynetwork feature that they have with this modem and went to my DSL statistics and saw this.

DSL%20report.jpg

Can anyone tell me what any of this means? Basically I getting pretty fed up with Bell and I would really like to just have yet another thing to yell at them about. Do any of these numbers explain why I am getting those lag spikes?

I see a few problems here. the number under Rx/FEC should be zero (or close to it) this column shows hoe many errors your modem is receiving when it is trying to send something. The other columns Err RX and TX should also be zero or close to it. Have you called them and given them these numbers?

One test you can try is if you have an NID (grey box where your phone service comes in the house. these boxes usually have a plug where you can plug a phone line in) get a long phone line and plug your modem directly into the NID. If this solves your problems then you know your inside wiring is not the problem. This can also be caused by the filters that are supplied. Do you have multiple phones connected into the jack that your DSL runs off of?

just a few suggestions

You might want to ask them what the FEC means. In frame relay that means Foward exclusionary congestion. basicaly that means that the network ahead of yours is really overloaded and is telling your connection to stop sending data. I'm not sure if it means the same thing in DSL. I've head it used as Foward Error Corrections in DSL but I'm not soo sure on that one.

Last edited:
Allright well it turns out I was getting all those errors because the line couldnt handle all the bandwith. The line tests for as much as 6000 down but for some reason when you go up to 5000 it cant handle it.

I got it bumped down to 4000 and now I have no more errors on the line. Still have a really high SNR but when I un-plug all the phone's from the jack the SNR goes away so I guess I just need some new filters.

Back