• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REQ: Water cooling solution that never needs to be changed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfc

I have a pretty n00b water cooling setup, so my demands aren’t really high as far as cooling goes. But I would like to know if there is any sort of solution that I could use that won’t evaporate or cause build up or growth in my unit? OEM computers are now coming out with water cooling units that you never need to top off of refill. So I would like to know if I could get a similar thing that will work just as well?

Thanks

kfc said:
I have a pretty n00b water cooling setup, so my demands aren’t really high as far as cooling goes. But I would like to know if there is any sort of solution that I could use that won’t evaporate or cause build up or growth in my unit? OEM computers are now coming out with water cooling units that you never need to top off of refill. So I would like to know if I could get a similar thing that will work just as well?

Thanks

by solution do you mean the actual liquid? or a solution to your problem?

if you mean liquid, just use distilled water and antifreeze with a little iodine if you dont want to spend alot of money. if you are talking about a new setup, they can run you from $100 to $500. depends on what you want.

I haven't heard of a real watercooling solution that doesn't require flushing every once and a while.

Changing fluid is part of a very important preventative maintanence routine. I think the longest you could stretch it, under optimal conditions mind you, would be maybe 12-14 months. I've def heard of ppl changing fluids after that amount of time to find no growth or build ups. Its still likely best to change it out every 6-9 months (considering you use the proper coolant ratios). If this simply isn't acceptable, water might not be the right project for you...

Just some thoughts.

Changing fluid is part of a very important preventative maintanence routine. I think the longest you could stretch it, under optimal conditions mind you, would be maybe 12-14 months

i have several systems that have 5 year service cycles and have designed 2 systems for 20 year cycles, granted these systems are not average computers but there you have it

you can design high flow systems to not need maintinance for 2-3 years easily BUT the water addetives you need to use are somewhat toxic USUALLY.

As long as you keep it closed and set it up without licking the tubes (or pollute them in some other way), and it's a new system, then flushing is hardly ever required in my experience. I've been running my systems for years now and I've re-tooled both at some point in-between, but neither had gotten dirty. Using distilled water and water wetter.

Yeah I've had similar experiences to what you guys are posting. For the most part, I've never had to change or re-fill the water in my systems. I have them apart enough where there would be no point in maintaining them. I did however have a system with a pretty large reservoir that lasted a good year and a half without any maintenance needed. When I took it apart, I sold the parts on ebay and they were in good shape.

FooTemps said:
I haven't heard of a real watercooling solution that doesn't require flushing every once and a while.
Apple Powermac G5 2.5 and 2.7 both come / came with no-maintenance setups. (they also were first to use our little friend the LAING DDC /MCP350)

whether the system needs maintenance or not depends more on th eliquids than the actual setup. Like Thorilan said, the right mixture will keep you going for a long time. (realisticaly 3-5 years is longer than the lifespan of your average PC)

Back