• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo Help Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_F

I just finished a stage 3 install of gentoo and the network card isn't working. I take it I didn't include the proper drivers when building the kernel.

I'm installing gentoo on a server for me and my friend's lan party. The thing is I'm not very familiar with what type of hardware it has, so I used genkernel.

It has three different NICs. One integrated one which we don't use, and two others. One is a Realtek RTL8139D 100/10 and the other is a SMC9452TX gigabit. The only one I could get to work on the livecd for installing was the Realtek RTL8139D. Now I would be happy if anyone could help tell me how to get any of them working.

The SMC gigabit card has two chips, DP83861 VQM-35 and DP83821 BVM.

Any help in locating the right driver and instructions on installing it would be greatly apriciated.

I don't know how to use genkernel at all. If you manually configure the kernel, it's easy to just go in with "make menuconfig" and then turn on the drivers you need.

Ok, I think it may need the ns83820.o driver. Does anyone know if that comes standard with the gentoo kernel?

Go into the menuconfig util and see what there is. See if anything looks right.

the 8139too module should work for the realtek (listed as "realtek" driver of sorts), simply enable it in device drivers ->network adapters. it would be easier to just build them into the kernel, but you can also compile them as moudles and add them to your /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-x.x file

Back