• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Machine guidence

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

becrazed

Hey, im interessted in building a gaming pc however not quite sure what sort of components to look for. I know i want a pci express board/g-card and definatly want somthing more powerfull than my current amd 64 3200+ but dont really know what to look for. Price wise im looking to spend about 1,200-1,300 pounds including case etc.
I would like somthing that will play all current games with ease but wont be outdated too quickly if thats at all possible with my budget. Any advice is welcome.

Get an Opteron 146, Epox NF4 Ultra, 1GB stick of G.Skill value, 7800GT, Cooler Master Centurion 5, Western Digital 250GB w/ 16MB cache, and a Fortron AX500-A.

becrazed said:
Hey, im interessted in building a gaming pc however not quite sure what sort of components to look for. I know i want a pci express board/g-card and definatly want somthing more powerfull than my current amd 64 3200+ but dont really know what to look for. Price wise im looking to spend about 1,200-1,300 pounds including case etc.
I would like somthing that will play all current games with ease but wont be outdated too quickly if thats at all possible with my budget. Any advice is welcome.

why do you want to upgrade past your 3200? i can play every game out easy with my 3200 and 9800non pro without overclocking.

Brutal's recommendations are great, go with that. Only thing you can change is probably go with the Maxtor HDD, but it's all on preference.

I too am looking at updating my rig.... (for gaming),

About the only thing worth keeping in my rig is the PSU.

I see you recommendations suggest the Cooler Master case... any opinions on the Antec P180, as this is the one that I'm looking at.

Also, the Drive is that SATA? if not, then why wouldn't you recommend a SATA drive?

Sorry for all the noob questions.......

Jack-- feel free to start your own thread on the matter, we'll be happy to help you there.

Assuming that 3200+ is 939 socket, I'd say keep it, get a 7800gtx, some nice ram, maybe a raptor or some other harddrive, a good heatsink, a decent case with an awesome powersupply and OC the heck out of it! (And potentially save some money)

If your 3200+ happens to be 754 socket and you want more, you can't beat the opteron 144 or 146, both awesome chips. If you can't for whatever reason get ahold of one a 3200+ 939 skt or a 3700+ are both also excellent alternatives as is a 3800+ x2 dual core. The previous statement still holds true, you should still be able to pull it off, you'd just have a lot less money left over.

My CPU is Socket A...32bit...

I play a lot of BF2... and the lag and slow load times are really ****ing me off....
Also with Fear and BF2 - Special Forces around I want to update and "future proof" it a little as well.

ckj said:
Jack-- feel free to start your own thread on the matter, we'll be happy to help you there.

Assuming that 3200+ is 939 socket, I'd say keep it, get a 7800gtx, some nice ram, maybe a raptor or some other harddrive, a good heatsink, a decent case with an awesome powersupply and OC the heck out of it! (And potentially save some money)

If your 3200+ happens to be 754 socket and you want more, you can't beat the opteron 144 or 146, both awesome chips. If you can't for whatever reason get ahold of one a 3200+ 939 skt or a 3700+ are both also excellent alternatives as is a 3800+ x2 dual core. The previous statement still holds true, you should still be able to pull it off, you'd just have a lot less money left over.

Back