• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good OC Motherboard needed, but im green to intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

AMD has sent the K7 to the grave (to bad there wont be a funeral); it's time for another budget chip. So, for my next string of hardware, i've selected intel's Celeron D. My questions are:

Which Celeron D has been yielding the best OC?

What motherboard should i put it on? I'm looking for something that will overclock well and in the sub 200USD catergory.

Are there any good AGP and/or PCIe options?

Thanks

If you get the socket LGA775 version of the Celly D, they all are E0 stepping which generally will do about 3.8 gig (give or take, your mileage may vary) with good cooling. Now you have to decide if you if you want a motherboard with AGP or PCI-E.

Well instead of the celery D you might consider a 505/506 p4 which do very nicely and don't have the cache strangulation of celeron.

For mobos with AGP/DDR I would go for something like the Abit AS-8 which is about $80.

For PCI-e mobos probably something like the abit AA8xe which can be had refurb for like $130 from newegg and are pretty nice motherboards.

Yes, there are socket 478 Celeron D processors. Or if you want AGP you could get the Abit AS8 which is socket LGA775, but uses AGP and DDR RAM.

Back