• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building LGA775 System for Friend - $1000 max. Does this look good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randyman...

Howdy,

My buddy just handed me a post dated check for $1000 to build him the best rig I can. He needs everything - Case, PS, RAM, MoBo, CPU, HD, Keyboard/Mouse, OS, DVD-RW, and Monitor. He's not interested in large RAID arrays and crazy SLI setups, so I thought Micro-ATX would be a good format. He will mainly be surfing, and he will also be doing some audio work on this, mainly MIDI sequencing+sampling and soft-synths (Fruity Loops, Cubase, etc), as well as MP3 server functionality.

I peiced to gether a pretty good 64-bit capable/945G based chipset system from Newegg that seems to be fairly upgradable if need be. I'm going with Onboard Video for now, and using the savings for a nice 19" LCD. He can buy a video card later if he decides to become a serious gamer. I'm also sticking with the stock HSF for now, but again, he can add a better one later if he wants to OC past 3GHz. Stability and upgradability are paramount, OC-ability is not really important for this build. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important, as this is my first build using someone else's money! :-/

Components:

• MoBo: Asus P5LD2-VM Micro ATX 775/DDR2/PCI Express 16x Motherboard ($106)
  • CPU: Intel Pentium 4 531 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor w/HT ($188 w/HSF)
  • RAM: CORSAIR VALUE SELECT 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2-667 SDRAM ($91)
  • HD: Maxtor Diamondmax10 200GB SATA ($88)
  • Case: APEX TM-302-3 Black/ Silver Micro-ATX ($37) (Replacing stock 300Watt PS with the Sparkle below)
  • PS: SPARKLE ATX-400PA 400Watts, 24pin & 4pin, SATA ($44)
  • DVD-RW: LITE-ON IDE 16x DVD SHW-1635S ($42)
  • A Logitec Keyboard/Optical Mouse combo ($16)

With shipping this is $745, which leaves ~$255 for a descent 19" LCD. I'll buy the LCD locally, as shipping costs and RMA's are a PITA for Online Ordering of displays IMO. I'd rather pay tax once and take it down the road for RMA, opposed to paying shipping every time for any RMA issues but saving the sales tax (I have had monitor issues with Mail Order, and the return Shipping killed me)...

Any better recommendations, or any issues? I built PC#1 and PC#2 in my sig, as well as another Asus P4-478 based system, and they all work flawlessly. I have NEVER built an AMD rig (and don't want this to be my first) - so please keep suggestions to Intel based systems. I'll eventually build an AMD system for myself, but I'm not familiar enough with them to feel comfortable using my buddy's cash to build one just yet.

Thanks!!! :attn:

:cool:

Last edited:
I would also look into a 6xx series chip as well. I am not sure about BenQ, but I know you can get an NEC for a few dollars cheaper than the drive you have picked out. I have an NEC drive and I love it. You MAY want to spend a few dollars and get some AS5 or something other than that stock goop that comes with the HS. This may not be an issue for you though. You may already have some.

Last edited:
LG and Pioneer optical drives come highly rated. Other than that, nice choices.

From most reviews I've researched when trying to find the best DVD burner, it showed the BenQ and NEC ones to be near the top in burning speeds and quality. I choose the BenQ and it's been running great and burns fast and reliable.

Dudes, thanks for the input! :attn: . I feel better about diving in and buying this on Wedesday once his check is in my bank.

I swapped out to the P4-630 as recommended (I thought the 2MB cache was not that beneficial, and just made the CPU run hotter? - but it IS cheaper than the 1MB model :shrug: Go figure).

I have had excellent luck with Lite-On DVD-RW's, and the prices are all within $5-$10, so I'll probably stick with it.

I also went with the OCZ Value Series RAM, as it was $10 cheaper than the Corsair, and also has an addittional $10 MIR (I know, big whoop ;) )

Threw in a Cannon iP1600 InkJet ($49), and looking at a Viewsonic Q9b 19" 12ms LCD for $275.99. With the OS, this puts the system just above $1000, but my buddy won't mind the extra $40 or so... I can probably find a screaming deal on a 19" LCD for around $250 if I look hard enough, huh?

I was REALLY tempted to go with one of the Asus SFF T-2 or Vintage "Barebones" systems with the 915G chipset - but I realized there was no OC'ability AT ALL, and the 300Watt PS was a bit scary, so I'll stick with this Micro-ATX config.

Do you think the P4-630 will do OK in that case with the stock HSF? I do have AS-5, so I'll certainly be using it. What kind of full load temps can I expect at stock FSB in a Micro-ATX case w/ Fresh Air Tunnel and Stock Intel HSF?

Thanks again :cool:

The amount of cache has nothing to do with the amount of heat a CPU will dissipate. The 6xx series of chips are supposed to be some of the coolest running Intel CPUs. I have never used a SFF case or a stock HS on an intel chip so I won't even make a guess as to what your temps will be.

My Celeron D runs at 60C full load with a better-than-stock heatsink and stock speed and voltage, and since the P4s typically run hotter than celerons, your temps aren't going to be very good...

Last edited:
Soichiro said:
My Celeron D runs at 60C full load with a better-than-stock heatsink and stock speed and voltage, and since the P4s typically run hotter than celerons, your temps aren't going to be very good...
That's a pretty crappy load temp for that CPU and heatsink. My Cel D @ 3.62 and 1.45V runs at 48 full load with a Big Typhoon and silent fan.

Yes... but my case has THE WORST AIRFLOW EVER! The only ventilation is a few slots in the side and a 80mm fan in the back that can't move any air because of those stupid little holes being too small for air to get through... but for some reason I've always had high temps... my last comp (AXP T-bred 2000+) had 50 idle/58 load and this comp has 44 idle/57 load with the case side off...

Last edited:
I guess I'll have to build it, and see how hot it runs. This case does have the fresh air tunnel, and I might even lap the stock heatsink for grins. If I see full load temps above ~55*C, I'll probably tell him to get a better HSF. I know I love my XP-120 and 4GHz P4 :D

On the Cache isue: I always thought more Cache = more heat GENERATION? (not dissapation - that is what the HSF does). Afterall, L2 Cache is esentially RAM running at the Chip's FSB speed, correct? More high-speed cache = more power consumption = more heat generation unless I'm missing something... I know the 478 versions of the same chips tend to run hotter than the LGA775 versions, but I always thought more Cache = more Power = more Heat...

I know my P4 530 w/1MB L2 in my Shuttle xPC (PC#2 in sig) runs unbelievably cool in that tiny box.

Well, most of the stuff came in on Thursday and Friday (waiting on RAM and CPU - will be here on Monday). At least I can assemble most of the PC, and get the wire management all wrapped up before Monday. Should be a nice PC IMO. I was a bit dispointed that the Sparkle 400Watt PSU I ordered was a dual 12v rail 18Amp/18Amp unit. I assumed it was a single 12v rail, but NewEggs' descrption did not mention it. It think it should still be fine for this system.

One stupid mistake I made - When I was debating getting the ASUS T-2 Barebones, I had standard DDR-400 RAM in my wishlist. I must have totaly spaced out when ordering, because I accidentally ordered DDR400 RAM for the DDR-2 MoBo :bang head . I already re-ordered some OCZ value series DDR2-533, and I'll just return the DDR-400. I felt so stupid when I saw "DDR-400" on my initial e-mail confirmation!!! What a dummy. :shrug:

I'll post back on Tuesday with my results. Fingers crossed on sub 55*C full-load temps! I do plan on lapping the stock Intel HSF FWIW...

The Build is DONE!

So far, so good. I actually finished a day before I thought I would (Monday Afternoon/Evening)! I was not able to lap the stock Intel HSF, as the retention bracket sits lower than the CPU mating surface (I'd be sanding the retention bracked, not the CPU mating surface). There is probably a way to do it with a properly sized block to prop the sandpaper on, but it looked OK to me in its stock form. I removed the crappy Intel Heat-Pad, and used a miniscule layer of good old AS-5.

The case is nice for the price. Solid construction, and nice fit & finish. Only 1 HD rack, but you can squeeze one into the un-used 3.5" external drive bay if need be (or make a bracket to hang a second HD off the first one).

Installation and assembly was 100% cake. Booted right up, and set BIOS appropriately (SPD was wrong, and some other minor tweaks). Installed XP no sweat (I already formated the HD in my other PC as I went to bed last night). Installed all drivers, etc, and then updated Windows. Then I updated the BIOS, and installed all of the AV and Spyware stuff, and added his Office 2003 and Nero... Threw in TweakXP and some other stuff, too...

I was REALLY PLEASED with the temps. Full CPU load at Stock 200FSB touches 52*C, and this is with the HSF fan and only ONE 80mm rear exhaust fan (and the PS fan)! I was able to crank down the fans to more reasonable speeds/volumes, and still doesn't go above 52*C for now. It idles between 45*C-48*C - which I find odd with Full Load only being ~7*C hotter than idle? Vcore is set to 1.375v or so in BIOS, but reads at 1.42v in Speedfan. The MoBo is running hot at full load (gets upto 47*C), so I'll still add a front intake fan to keep those temps under control. I bet this P4 630 has descent OC-ability, but I'm keeping it at stock unless my buddy wants to buy a better HSF.

The Sparkle 400Watt Dual-Rail PS is solid & quiet, and well worth the ~$45 it cost IMO.

I ran Memtest w/o a single error, and I am doing a full HD surface-scan as we speak. Almost done :D

Building PC's just gets easier and easier!!!

Rock on :cool:

Last edited:
Seems to be a nice PC and temps aren't even an issue. All in all great build. Congrats.

Thanks!

I went ahead and did a light OC to 220FSB (3.0E @ 3.3GHz). Temps didn't even increase! Running 1.400v Vcore in Bios, but reads high in Speedfan (Reads upto 1.45v at times). These newer MoBo's don't have much droop that I can tell - a PLEASANT change from my P4C800-E Dlx. I also added a 4" fan to the side intake (blowing onto the P4 HSF) and wired it at 7V. Man, this system is QUIET!!!

Thanks for the help. Another solid Asus/Intel build under my belt :)

No Intel AMD is better in all aspects and Maxtor has problems compaired to WD or Segate. And make sure you do not skip the PSU.

You're a bit late, unfortunately. Seems he's already bought the stuff... Anyway... Maxtor drives are okay, I've been using this 80GB Maxtor for about 3-4 years with no problems *knockonwood*. Also, Intel actually IS better for things like video encoding and junk. Most ppl just prefer AMD cuz it's better for gaming and cheaper and stuff.

Back