• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fortron ax500a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

ok, i just ordered the fortron ax500a last nite. i read a lot of posts from these forums that all agreed this is a pretty darn good psu, especially for the price. now i'm reading a lot of posts [mostly about sli] that are saying to avoid dual 12v rails. i have no plans for sli at the moment [nor do i see it in the close future], but should i still be avoiding the dual 12v rails?

Not really, the assumption is if you have a heavily overclocked system and alot of peripherals the two 15amp 12 volt lines will be tapped sooner than 1 big 30amp or more 12v rail, thus leading to instability possibly.

That is quality PSU I have one in an overclocked A64 with 2 HD's, 2 roms, 5 fans, one being a 90mm delta and a 6600gt and have no problems.

That psu could easily power a machine like the one I mentioned with a 7800gtx or X1800XT caliber gfx card.

Know Nuttin said:
depends completely on your setup. what system components do you intend to run?
this is being put in the system in my signature. i only have one hdd, one cd-rw, and 4 case fans on molex's. i *might* add one more case fan, but that's only if i decide to cut a blowhole in. other than that, i don't see too much more being added to this rig. maybe a hdd at the most. beyond that it's time for a new rig anyway :)

pejsaboy said:
this is being put in the system in my signature. i only have one hdd, one cd-rw, and 4 case fans on molex's. i *might* add one more case fan, but that's only if i decide to cut a blowhole in. other than that, i don't see too much more being added to this rig. maybe a hdd at the most. beyond that it's time for a new rig anyway :)

Heck the Forton AX500A (AKA the Blue Storm) is probably overkill for such a system.

^^ i figure overkill is always better than not quite enough. it leaves a bit of headroom just in case.... you never know what crazy upgrade idea will pop up next :)

^^good to know... i was hoping this psu would last a while if it does end up in an upgraded system.

Back