• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much longer will my card last?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayer2003

I just finished my system about 4 months ago, completed by a 6600GT pci-e vid card. I play a bunch of the newer games, such as BF2, UT2K4, Doom 3, etc....

So far, it seems like this card is still holding it's own, at max settings, with 1024x800 res.

How much longer should I expect to have with this card, before it's time for something new?

Lol. I think you can hang on to it a little longer than that. You could probably hang on to it for almost a year without sacrificing much, but a year from now you should already have a better card in your system.

Entirely depends on YOU, my friend. :)

How much are you willing to pay for a few FPS?
How much are you willing to pay for a bit of extra eye candy?
How much are you willing to pay for a playing games at a bigger resolution?

I am most definitely NOT a hardcore gamer, and I am a cheap sob, but my main rig does just fine with a 6600gt in it and my secondary rig does fine with an fx5900 (admittedly in an a64 system).
I have a few backup/spare gaming rigs as well: they all have ti4200s (64mb and 128mb cards) and they play well enough at most games. I have an issue with playing the latest, greatest games- developers don't code them for linux so it takes a while before I am able to try many of them, but HalfLife2 is definitely playable on a Ti4200.
6600gt is much better, of course. :D

So the choice ends up lying squarely upon you:
How much are you willing to pay for the perfromance increase?

Well... as people above mentioned it all depends on what you want to play.

I decided to upgrade my system too. I am probably going with a 4400+x2 and a pair of 512mb 7800gtxs in sli before the end of the year. Just because I want the fastest thing out there. I thought that my 6800u agp card in my 3.2 p4 @ 3.8ghz wasnt fast enough. I couldnt play F.E.A.R or HL2 at the speeds and res that I wanted.

Its all a matter of how well you want the latest and greatest games to play

Barnz0432

barnz0432 said:
Well... as people above mentioned it all depends on what you want to play.

I decided to upgrade my system too. I am probably going with a 4400+x2 and a pair of 512mb 7800gtxs in sli before the end of the year. Just because I want the fastest thing out there. I thought that my 6800u agp card in my 3.2 p4 @ 3.8ghz wasnt fast enough. I couldnt play F.E.A.R or HL2 at the speeds and res that I wanted.

Its all a matter of how well you want the latest and greatest games to play

Barnz0432
again as everyone have stated it just depends how much detail, res, AA/AF your willing to give up. Also what is your prefered res, and what is your monitors max res at an accetpable re-fresh rate.

Back