• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF2 slow to load & lagging on map reloads...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumpin Jack

Can anyone suggest something to improve the lag I'm getting.

It takes 2min 16sec (average) to load into a game, then it is very laggy picking my weapon and spawn point, then it continues to lag for another 30 sec when I've spawned. Hence I try to pick a spawn point away from the action first up cos I'd be a bullet-magnet for sure.....
Sometimes during a game it will momentary lag up as well.
Map re-loads it's only marginally quicker.

I have a 1.5M ADSL connection. With no overclocking at the moment....

Any advice......????
(sorry for the noob questions)

Jumpin Jack said:
Can anyone suggest something to improve the lag I'm getting.

It takes 2min 16sec (average) to load into a game, then it is very laggy picking my weapon and spawn point, then it continues to lag for another 30 sec when I've spawned. Hence I try to pick a spawn point away from the action first up cos I'd be a bullet-magnet for sure.....
Sometimes during a game it will momentary lag up as well.
Map re-loads it's only marginally quicker.

I have a 1.5M ADSL connection. With no overclocking at the moment....

Any advice......????
(sorry for the noob questions)

Defrag, then go into the game, change some video setting, like to one res, and back, exit the game, defrag again, and then go back into the game.

What this does is resets, and also organizes the shader files, and all the other files back the way they belong, cuts down on load times by alot. Only if you where having long load times already.

OK I'll give it a try... Let u know how it goes.... Thanks.... :)

shard said:
Defrag, then go into the game, change some video setting, like to one res, and back, exit the game, defrag again, and then go back into the game.

What this does is resets, and also organizes the shader files, and all the other files back the way they belong, cuts down on load times by alot. Only if you where having long load times already.

I agree on upgading to 2GB of RAM... cleared up alot of lag/ load time issues for myself.

Check your ping times while ingame (the far right column when u hit the 'TAB' button ingame) as some servers will be more laggy/ higher ping. I find anything under 100 to be acceptable (I know, pretty high, but whatevs).

Cheers.

This helped me..it may or may not help you but worth a shot...this is to help with the lag in the weapon selection at start of first round of map and the 30sec after that...the increase in load times..may not be actually loading the map but punkbuster verifying the game files and whatever else it does...

http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3256&postdays=0&postorder=asc -- EA FORUM

1. Install the OPENAL32.exe App from Creative (Link Below).
http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46&file=OpenALwEAX.exe
No, it's not a virus or else you could sue Creative for mass distributing one. No, this will not ruin any sound in other games. ** A box will come up, click yes I agree.. yadda yadda yadda, and you're done.**

2. Go into your windows/system32 directory, NOT YOUR CREATIVE DIRECTORY, and copy the OpenAL32.dll and paste it into your BF2 Directory (Main Folder). DO NOT CONFUSE THE OpenAL32.dll file for the OpenGL32.dll. THAT WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS.

3. In the BF2 Main Folder, make a backup of the BF2OpenAL.dll file and put it some where that you could remember where it is if any bf2 problems occur.

4. Rename the OpenAL32.dll file you got from the System32 directory to BF2OpenAL.dll and replace the original BF2OpenAL.dll. Don't forget to make a back up (just incase).

5. Play the game.

try THIS, it should speed things up a bit, plus there are other things you can try.

but for the hardware part let me tell you this, i have 2GB of ram and a seagate SATA drive and i'm almost always the first one into the game... ram makes a big difference but hard drives help too! if you were to get some sort of SATA drive on your next upgrade and run BF2 from that it should help... oh and try turning down textures

Shad,
I tried the double defrag... I started with an average of 2mins 40sec, after the first defrag it reduced to 1min 50sec. After setting the graphics and defraging again it reduced to 1min 45sec, average.

Looks like I'm swapping out my ram.... :(

Does anyone know if DDR2 is backward compatible to DDR motherboards. And if SATA II is backward compatible to SATA motherboards?

shard said:

Meh, that sounds like something other than RAM to me. What resolution are you running at? How high are your graphic settings?

Getting a Raptor will certainly help with map load times. :)

SATA II is backward/forward compatible. Almost positive DDR2 is not.

Everything is on high, except for lighting which is set on medium. I've dropped it back in the past but there wasn't any significant imporvement in load time. :(

Thanks for the info on the drive & ram....

tom10167 said:
Meh, that sounds like something other than RAM to me. What resolution are you running at? How high are your graphic settings?

Getting a Raptor will certainly help with map load times. :)

SATA II is backward/forward compatible. Almost positive DDR2 is not.

More RAM would help a bit, also check for spyware / adware or anything else eating CPU time. Also, try turning the shadows a bit lower, they're a huge resource hog.

subtotal said:
try THIS, it should speed things up a bit, plus there are other things you can try.

but for the hardware part let me tell you this, i have 2GB of ram and a seagate SATA drive and i'm almost always the first one into the game... ram makes a big difference but hard drives help too! if you were to get some sort of SATA drive on your next upgrade and run BF2 from that it should help... oh and try turning down textures

Read subtotal's link. There is alot of good stuff in there.

The things that made a big difference to me:
-Drop texture quality to medium
-Drop sound quality to medium(default)
-Delete the whole shader cache, set your final gfx settings and dont play with them anymore
-renamed ALL those bik files(ingame movies) to something else to prevent the game from loading them. Punkbuster will NOT give you any problems because of this.
-Kill off, any background process that is not needed before starting the game.

This worked wonders for me. I almost have no lag in the beginning any more.
(It seems the latest patch introduced a bit better memory handling too.)

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
Need more ram :p

Mow is right as 2 Gigs of ram will help ALOT... With BF2, 2 gigs is the magic number if you want to get rid of the game lag and choppiness at the start of the game.

I have 2 gigs in my system only because I enjoy BF2, otherwise I would be running 1 gig :)

I started a thread in memory asking about upgrading to 1.5 (3X512) and everyone said to just get 2 gigs. Why can't we just get another 512 stick and leave it at that? 60 bucks is alot cheaper than 200+ just to get rid of some stuttering that only lasts a minute if that.

Feydd said:
I started a thread in memory asking about upgrading to 1.5 (3X512) and everyone said to just get 2 gigs. Why can't we just get another 512 stick and leave it at that? 60 bucks is alot cheaper than 200+ just to get rid of some stuttering that only lasts a minute if that.

Because every time the map changes you will be stuttering and waiting.

Agreed, 2gb is the only way to go, you could always sell your current ram to help with funding for a 2gb set

Albaholic said:
Agreed, 2gb is the only way to go, you could always sell your current ram to help with funding for a 2gb set

Imho, Having two gigs of even the worst performing cheap memory is better than a gig of the most expensive fastest memory when it comes to BF2 and the absolute need for 2 gigs. I say absolute because those that have 2 gigs are the first people to a Tank, a plane, a helo or any vehicle, those with under two gigs by the time they enter the map, may be walking or hitching a ride from a person that has 2 gigs and able to get a vehicle quickly.
all.gif

Silversinksam said:
Imho, Having two gigs of even the worst performing cheap memory is better than a gig of the most expensive fastest memory when it comes to BF2 and the absolute need for 2 gigs. I say absolute because those that have 2 gigs are the first people to a Tank, a plane, a helo or any vehicle, those with under two gigs by the time they enter the map, may be walking or hitching a ride from a person that has 2 gigs and able to get a vehicle quickly.
all.gif

RAID 0 helps, too ;)

Back