• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Catalyst Control Center, Need Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boonmar

I have own ATI card since the Radeon 9700. Probably own all the model right up the the new card I just got, x1800 xt. I have been using regular ATI driver but decided to install Win XP service pack 2 and .Net and see what the Catlyst Control Center is all about. I have a question regarding the Overdrive. There is a couple of things I'm not sure about. I ran the automated clock config. utility.

What is the "Requested" section for both the VPU Clock and Memory Clock. After running the overdrive, my Requested is 689 MHz for the VPU clock. Current VPU clock is 594 MHZ. Is this mean that it can adjust the clock speed on a fly up to the "Requested" amount? My Requested speed for memory is 797 MHz, the current memory clock is 693 MHZ. Those "Requested" is almost 100 MHz increase for the stock speed. Is that safe? I'm using the retail cooling that came with the card. I'm not good at overclock since I never have any good experience with it.

Yes the overclocks achieved (requested) via Overdrive are safe to run and set manually anytime. Nice card :D

After I ran the automated clock config utility, my card speed increased. I just boot up my system just now and noticed that my VPU requested is at 623 MHz. It was at 689 MHz after I ran the utility this afternoon. My memory speed went down as well. I have the preserved setting at logon checked. Why did it not keep the speed that the utility reset to? Do I have to run the utilty everytime to get the higher safe speed? Can I just slide the bar and increased the speed back to the 689 MHz? I perfer not to do it myself and would like the utilty to do it since ATI claim that this would be safe.

boonmar said:
After I ran the automated clock config utility, my card speed increased. I just boot up my system just now and noticed that my VPU requested is at 623 MHz. It was at 689 MHz after I ran the utility this afternoon. My memory speed went down as well. I have the preserved setting at logon checked. Why did it not keep the speed that the utility reset to? Do I have to run the utilty everytime to get the higher safe speed? Can I just slide the bar and increased the speed back to the 689 MHz? I perfer not to do it myself and would like the utilty to do it since ATI claim that this would be safe.

Did you click the "Apply" or "Save" button under the same Menu? Otherwise it will not be saved and you have to re-apply it everytime after re-booting!

OCdragon said:
Did you click the "Apply" or "Save" button under the same Menu? Otherwise it will not be saved and you have to re-apply it everytime after re-booting!

I'm not sure about the "Save" but I do see the "Apply". Not sure if I pressed the "Apply" but I did pressed "OK" button. I will look at it again tonight.

I ran the automated utility again, this time the suggested clock speed only went up to 624. The memory speed went up to 789 MHz. I reboot the system, check the utiltiy again, the suggested clock speed stay at 624, but the memory speed when down to 657 MHz. Reboot again, the clock and memory speed stay where there were. Why did it went down? Yesterday, after running the utility, the clock and memroy were close to 800?

Back