• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which block sits flat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanohue

I was wondering which blocks will sit flat on a core without an IHS. I know the TDX and the 6002 need to have sanding to the socket edge, but what about the Storm or Apogee?

oh, right, you need a block with a raised part for the cam box. i believe the swiftech 6002 blocks have those

Wait, what? I'm lookin at a pic of the 6002 and how it sits, and it needs that plastic plate that you mount a stock hs on. But, if you dont hav an IHS, and you remove the plastic plate, will it sit flat? Or even will it sit flat with the plastic plate in?

and i can tell you for sure that the TDX runs fine with chips that have no ihs on them. my friend has had his on some 3 or 4 de-ihs'd chips, with no contact issues. it will sit flat without issues.

I have a 6000-A model which has a stepped base that allows for clearance for the cambox.

None are made to clear the cambox on an A64. Some are made with a stepped base to clear the cam on a socket A but the socket for A64 is much smaller so I have doubts that will work. Whatever you do make sure you check clearance.

ls7corvete said:
None are made to clear the cambox on an A64. Some are made with a stepped base to clear the cam on a socket A but the socket for A64 is much smaller so I have doubts that will work. Whatever you do make sure you check clearance.

I am using it on a Abit AN8 Ultra 939 board and it works perfectly! I have run up to 1.7V into that processor and running Prime95 never saw temperatures that worried me. I am not quoting actual temps because they are incomparable to other peoples systems. If you want my actual numbers let me know.

Back