• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone still use dial up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K15

Just wondering how many unlucky suckers here still have to use dial up. We haven't used it for about 6 years or more.
On a related note, is there any real advantage to cable VS DSL? Or DSL VS cable?

Working at a dialup ISP, i see TONS of people who are on dialup, not many of them are like you and I tho (enthusiasts)

I believe there is a thread regarding what connection members have, think its a poll.

As to DSL vs cable, i think its really a local thing. around here, the basic DSL package is 1 mbit down and i dont even know what up, for i tihnk $30 month, while we can get roadrunner cable service from time warner cable for almost $50 a month, and get 5 mbits downstream and 384 Kbits upstream, and im pretty sure the bandwidth is suppsoed to increase in the near future. I'm not sure how fast you can get (residentially targeted) DSL around here for what price. but you can get any connection anywhere, if the money is right (might involve buying property and laying fibre, but it can be done if you have the checkbook to cover it.)

Sadly enough I am back to using dial up, but after Christmas I am going to be switching to wireless. Its only 1 meg down and like 256 k up, but its faster than 56 k down. I was hoping for faster, but around here its basically get what you can for where you are. All that is available as far out of town as I am is wireless and dial up, but I'll be moving closer into town in the spring.

or the fact that they CANT get anytihng else, as in there is no cable lines, phone lines quality sucks. thats why wireless ISPs can have TONS of market, just go to rural areas.

BTW, alot of the people forced to be on dialup dont even get good 48 or 52 kbps connections, the phone line quality is so bad that they're LUCKY to get a 28 8 connection. at least thats the case around here. its fun to see the faces of customers we just hooked up with wireless going from 14.4 to 384 kbps.

four4875 said:
or the fact that they CANT get anytihng else, as in there is no cable lines, phone lines quality sucks. thats why wireless ISPs can have TONS of market, just go to rural areas.

BTW, alot of the people forced to be on dialup dont even get good 48 or 52 kbps connections, the phone line quality is so bad that they're LUCKY to get a 28 8 connection. at least thats the case around here. its fun to see the faces of customers we just hooked up with wireless going from 14.4 to 384 kbps.

You just discribed my situation. Yes, I'm one of those "suckers" still on dial up. I usualy connect at around 37 kbps.

Fr3@k3r said:
56kers are still around only because some people only use thier pc's for emailing and such, not to play games, or download huge files.

Not true, I am on 56k soley because I cannot get BB up where I live. Probably never will be able to either, not atleast until something better is devoloped which I am hoping is soon. Anyway just last night I finished a 600+ DL and started on a 300MB+ dl tonight. So there are some of us still using it besides just email checkers.

damarble said:
You just discribed my situation. Yes, I'm one of those "suckers" still on dial up. I usualy connect at around 37 kbps.

I usually get 40 kbps. It seems to sometimes go to 48 kbps, possibly 53 kbps.

10meg down 1Meg up -

NTL UK Cable £34.99 / month

As for the DSL Vs Cable....

I prefer Cable , I think it's better... However only main thing i've noticed different between the two, is on dsl when i downloaded at max speed, the line was real slow browsing + Ping shot up, whereas on cable downloading isn't really an issue, it's only when you max your upstream you notice a slow-down.

Yeah I Can understand if you can't get broadband where you are, but being able to and using dialup makes no sense whatsoever to me.

tenchi86 said:
Not true, I am on 56k soley because I cannot get BB up where I live. Probably never will be able to either, not atleast until something better is devoloped which I am hoping is soon. Anyway just last night I finished a 600+ DL and started on a 300MB+ dl tonight. So there are some of us still using it besides just email checkers.

I downloaded xp 64 (680meg~) from MS in around 8minutes a few days ago. :)

I am lucky enough to be on dial up :) (Heh) It may be like having a broke leg in the First person shooters, but I still manage to keep pace with the average BB user who plays (Good in my book :p). Am getting DSL soon though so that should be a new experience being able to download 1mb less than 8 minutes (Yeah I know, my connection is at around 15kbs).

tenchi86 said:

Yeah, I talk to someone on MSN that uses 28.8 dial up. I don't know what quality his phone lines are, but he has a 28.8 MODEM, so that is effing slow :eek:

They don't have DSL there, although i'm not sure if cable is available.
As for dial up, i'm guessing there are packages where you pay a flat rate? Or does there HAVE to be a minute limit? If no limit, I would use a seperate phone line and download all major things at night/during school. I always got mad at dial up, not only about the slowness, but the limit on the time I could spend on it. I always felt bad, or wondered how much money it was costing.
I think my DSL does about 1000kb/s download, I forget the unit. Not nearly as fast as some cable, and I think the cable service around here is faster. But for most of the stuff I do, it works fine. As long as browsing is smooth, i'm happy. With dial-up, it wasn't slow downloads I hated, it was slow browsing. I jump from site to site like MAD. I probably look at 20-70 different pages every night.

dial-up isn't what it used to. The relatively new v.92 modems provide a faster connection and cut the time it takes to dial-up in half (~15secs). If you're not downloading media, dial-up will do just fine.

And if you live in NYC, dial-up ISP is free:
http://www.metconnect.com/

Yeah, I'm on dialup. Speed ranges from 32Kb to 36Kb depending on the time of day.

Now personally I prefer DSL to Cable, mostly cause I work in the phone industry. But because I see people's rates climb higher and higher every year for the same service on the same cable...that just sucks.

Now if SBC would ever pull their you know what out of you know where, I'd have broadband DSL in a heartbeat. For now though, I guess I'll trade being able to leave my doors unlocked for 15 years (as they have been, don't even know where the keys are) to having broadband.

BTW, last numbers I saw claimed that HALF of North America was still on dialup for lack of available broadband access. An additional 15% liked dialup because it fits their usage. So be nice and enjoy being spoiled just because of where you live (and don't forget to lock that door tonight).

Last edited:
My cable is the opposite, It was originally 1meg - £30.99 then 3meg - £34.99, it's now 10meg, for £34.99 - and in 5-6months time 20meg, end of 06 50meg, all free upgrades...

I moved out to the country a few months ago and had to leave my dsl behind. The best dialup speeds I could get was 26k on a very good day. I guess thats the price you have to pay to live out in the sticks. I finally broke down & shelled out big $ to get a satalight hookup. It's nice to be back in modern times again.

Back