• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Red Hat Question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekDRP

Disabled
is thier a way I can install linux under my xp os or right beside it. and use a lilo boot loader system? And allso not destroying my current os? so I would have 2 os's on the hdda? Yeah I got room. Thanks in an advance.

DerekDRP said:
is thier a way I can install linux under my xp os or right beside it. and use a lilo boot loader system? And allso not destroying my current os? so I would have 2 os's on the hdda? Yeah I got room. Thanks in an advance.

Yep.. Very possible. Thats what most people do.

Although most would suggest against using OS's with what are called RPM's. They're a method of installing and updating software.. The problem is that there is no central place that the components you need exist together.. They can be very frustrating.. OS's like RedHat, Fedora, SUSE, Mandriva are suggested as those to avoid if you want to avoid this problem.

Debian and its derivatives are great for software install updates. So is Gentoo, but its definatly difficult to install.

[EDIT] A few posts down is a thread I started asking about the easiest OS to install. Look through that. Suggestions like Xandros, Mepis, Debian, etc are in there.

For me, Debian automatically knew that WinXP was installed, and gave me the options of where to install (although its all text based menus, and if you don't know what your doing, you can mess up). I hear Xandros is great.. extremely easy. I haven't tried it yet, but I am going to, just for the hell of it :- ]

DerekDRP said:
is thier a way I can install linux under my xp os or right beside it. and use a lilo boot loader system?
Yes, although I much prefer grub as a boot loader.
And allso not destroying my current os? so I would have 2 os's on the hdda? Yeah I got room. Thanks in an advance.
Yup, you just have to resize the ntfs partition, which you can do non-destructively (it might be a good idea to back up imprortant docs and defragment first, just in case).

You might try ubuntu, it's an easy debian based distro that uses gnome by default. Xandros and MEPIS are nice but they both use KDE by default (not that it cannot be changed).

Back