• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dealings with Double Dual Desktop???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikolasmor

Hey there,
I'm starting my initial research on building a new desktop next year I multi task like a mother. Very little gaming, lots of video encoding and burning, lots of TV recording, picture editing and surfing. Blah blah blah. At any rate I realize my best bet is to go with a dual core processor(opty) But what about a dual, dual opty setup as in a mobo that will accept 2 dual core opterons? While I realize it will not be the same a running 4 processors how much of an improvement am I looking at? Just the thought sounds sweet....whos gonna be the first to burst my bubble?

Good luck.
Not only are you going to get two 2XX optys, you are going to have to get a motherboard to match (which probably won't have any, or very few overclocking options) and registered memory. If you have the money to spend, more power to you, but unless you are going to actually be using all four CPUs for something, it is akin to buying a Ferrari to make weekly grocery store runs in: in the end, you are paying too much money for something too powerful for what you use it for.
But hey, when has that stopped us before? While that Ferrari is vastly overpowered for mere grocery store runs, it sure looks good and you can brag to your friends about it...

Tyan makes good multi-proc motherboards... not sure on overclocking options though.. You might want to take a look at the Maximum PC Dream Machine 2005. It had a tyan motherboard, 2 dual core opterons, 4GB of memory dedicated to EACH proc. A terabyte of storage, two Dual layer sata dvd burners, etc... there was a bunch more stuff too...but I do remember the total price...it was like $12,000! :rolleyes:

I can vouch for the Tyans, I have the Thunder K8WE (S2895) and 2882UG3NR-D. Make sure you buy supported ram or have a liberal return policy. Tyan can at times be picky with RAM, though runs like shtbrck house when up. Also if you get the 2895, make sure you are getting the sli connector, Tyan didnt ship them at first.

Back