• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

official Sony PS3 Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

So all you have to do is look in 1 thread instead of 1239481931 different threads for stuff on the ps3 as we near the launch date... post anything and everything you need/want/know here :)

what games do you want to see at launch? and are you guys still preying for the FFVII remake?

Product name: PlayStation 3

Logo: PLAYSTATION(R)3

CPU

Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU

RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth

Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance

2 TFLOPS

Storage

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller

Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Yea, can't wait for PS3!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be getting it most likely along with MGS4 and Killzone 2 :drool: :drool: :drool:

As much as I love my Xbox360, PS3 is a true next gen console. I just hope that Sony delivers on what they promised.

If not for the games, I will at least buy this for the Bluray DVD player. $400 bucks for a HD dvd player would be awesome. Plus, the rumors of 1080P output might turn out to be true!!

Anyone know when this is coming out? I first heard Spring '06, but now I hear that it's pushed back to Fall/Winter, anyone hear differently? I really want to get one as I'm entering college in Fall and would be nice to bring with me.

Ah lookin at the specs and expeically the options it comes with, for all the connectors and wireless options is really nice. I do hope they do well with this and hopfully it keeps microsoft and sony gunning for round 3 against each other.

sagitta85 said:
They might at well drop the 2 Ethernet ports.

They have. It was originally supposed to be a gigabit router, but why? Personally, I don't keep my console in one place, and I'd like my network running when I take it elsewhere.

As for the dual HDMI output at 1080p? Sony also claimed it could do 120fps.

Stop with the lies Sony.

No system can do that. No developer would make a game so that when 99% of people play it at 60fps, that for that other 1% it would run at 120fps. It doesn't make sense. The developers of Gears of War for the 360 decided to lock the framerate at 30fps. They are continuing to optimize code, and if the get it running above 30fps, they just throw in more effects.

No developer would opt for a crappy looking game at 120fps over a great looking game at 60fps. No developer would opt for a crappy looking game running on two screens at 1080p for all .01% of people who have 2 HDTV, HDMI, 1080p compatible screens, when they could make a great looking game on 1 screen.

Yes they are cool features. But they apply to so few people that it's just not worth it to include them.

Stop with the lies Sony.

Back