• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this a psu problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HikariF1

Registered
my mother's computer(its a compaq) has this certain problem. When she turns the power on, the computer would power up for about 3 seconds before it shuts down, leading to a blinking red light on the front. One of my friends mentioned that it could be a psu problem but i dont want to go off and buy another psu then find out it was something else. thanks :(

no, what happens is the computer turns on for about 3 seconds and nothing happens, then it shuts down.

I had the same thing happen to me when I built my new rig. You should try doing a jump start like this.

PA240023.jpg

Just make shure that you are shorting the two pins closest to the latch just to the right of it (they should be oval). If the PSU turns on then it is good.

Here's a bit better pic;

plug.gif

Just make sure you short pin 14 with any ground.
Be aware that some Compaqs have proprietary PSUs that look like ATX but are sometimes wired a little differently.

thanks for the help, I took out the compaq psu and well this is a pretty newbish question, but its about an inch or so skinnier than my psu(its a vantec ion 400w), does that mean its not an atx and something else?

wow thanks know nuttin, i think it was the heatsink fan was dead. It wasnt the fan exactly but that 3 pin connector on the motherboard wasnt working. I had to hook up an old fan controller and use the last 4 pin molex connector to it, but its working now. Thanks

When my psu went out the fan would move and that was it. At the time I thought it was my mobo and I went to newegg and bought another. (ouch) later found out it was the psu. I cut off the (Do not remove or void warranty sticker) and the fuse was blown.. But it was a week power supply so I went out and bought a new one and its been running great every since.

Back