• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Blue Orb Question ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

I've heard when you buy it ... its best to lap it first since the metals aren't really working together...

I've heard lapping is a huge performance of 3-4 degrees on the Blorb! I dont know how I fried my GeForce 2 MX .. But it happened when I bought ASII and applied it and everything install the blorb and then bye bye bye for the MX and waitin to get mine shipped now..

From what iv heard the blorb is really bad, dished way in on the bottom. I would guess that lapping would gain more than 4c in this case, but as i havnt tested i dont know. Rest assured though, lapping is ESSENTION for at blorb.

Yep you have to lap them Orbs.

You probably fried your MX because AS epoxy is slightly conductive and will short things if you put too much on. That is more than likely what happened in your case.

hiroXP said:
Newbie here. What's lapping? I have a GF2 MX and I was planning to stick a Blorb on it with a mix of ASII and AS epoxy. What advice can you guys give me?

lapping means to sand down your Cooler on some sandpaper to some very smooth and flat finish. I normally start with 400 grit and then use 600 grit wet paper on a piece of glass, to make sure it is really flat. You may rub back and forth or use a figure 8 pattern, which is what I did.
Hope that helps!

you really should start with 200 grit if youre lapping an orb, they are really crappilly made....

well I put a blorb on my radeon, I lapped it and it did make a diff when I was oc'ing the radeon. when I oc'd with the stock cooler I maxed at 215/215 with the blorb I went to 218/218 and scored a bit higher on 3dmarks.

i wouldnt get the blorb. it sucks. you need a chainsaw to lap that thing, its in two pieces that dont even fit together well. better off to use a small cpu heatsink from the old days.

krakerman said:
i wouldnt get the blorb. it sucks. you need a chainsaw to lap that thing, its in two pieces that dont even fit together well. better off to use a small cpu heatsink from the old days.

he's probably right...I was given one otherwise I really wouldn't run right out and get one. but it still would work better than the stock cooler.

OK Guys.. I'm going to go down to the local store tomorrow and buy some stuff to lap my blorb and my golden orb..

First question..

What should I buy ?
Please give me all the sandpaper I should buy and what to finish the thing off(Things that would make a smooth clean finish, so you can see a reflection of yourself heheeh)..

Last edited:
Kingslayer said:

You probably fried your MX because AS epoxy is slightly conductive and will short things if you put too much on. That is more than likely what happened in your case.

I think that is how I fired *Rolls his eyes*....

I will not make the same mistake..

Krackerman

I am running a second edition Radeon 64 DDR vivo default is 198/198 and I am at 222.75/222.75 , soon as I slap ramsinks on and the lapped blue orb I know it will do 245/245 probably 25/250 cause Quizno with his new heatsink fan and ram sinks is at 246/246 stable as a rock and I am sure he has gone higher.

The second edition cards are sweet thats for sure and with mem near 500 it really rocks for games...

Cisco Kid:D

Kingslayer said:

You have to be really carefull when putting on that AS, espeshally on the memory. one wrong move and its dead.

Question for you Kingslayer

Just wondering when you attach the ramsinks to the memory chips are you applying thermal paste between as well or are you just gluing them on via super glue in the corners?/

cisco Kid

I just wanna make sure

Re: Question for you Kingslayer

Cisco Kid said:
Just wondering when you attach the ramsinks to the memory chips are you applying thermal paste between as well or are you just gluing them on via super glue in the corners?/

cisco Kid

I just wanna make sure

Haven't applied ramsink but I will how do you apply ramsinks?

With both glue+ASII or?

And by the way I just finished lapping my Blorb looks great now I stuck a blade between the things and no light came threw... When we were lapping it, me and my cousin saw the layers so damn uneven!

I say we all mail ThermalTake and tell em they need to improve their orbs !

Back