• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mushkin pc 3500 black level II with amd 64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graphite

So i love this bh-5 ram. Did a ton of research when i did my current computer a looong time ago, and kinda got burnt out on it.

movin to the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 board and an amd 4000+ san diego 64 bit.

Wondering if my old ram will keep plugging away with the new 64 system, of if i'm stuck getting new ram.

The ram will work fine with the motherboard, and you should see some good clocks with it, as I had my 3500 LVIIs in my A8N-SLI delux for over a year. Some things to keep in mind however.... the motherboard can only push a maximum of 3.00V through the ram (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and in most cases with BH-5 you typically want a bit higher voltage through them for the higher clocks. Also, if you plan on playing BF2 and a few other games they typically prefer 2 GB of ram, and running 4 sticks of ram can be a bit difficult on any board.

Your ram is what many still consider to be the best in existence, myself included. ;) Follow Know Nuttin's advice and get a DFI board, and you should be cruising at a solid 250 as you are now at least, if not higher.

Gautam said:
Your ram is what many still consider to be the best in existence, myself included. ;) Follow Know Nuttin's advice and get a DFI board, and you should be cruising at a solid 250 as you are now at least, if not higher.
/agree :)

Welcome to the forums!

If you need help with a few settings to start off with, look at the DFI-Stable settings thread in my sig.

The issue of the varience between vcore and vdimm is the subject of a thread that was started over at XS by one of the OCZ guys (RyderOCZ, I believe) and to which I linked in a thread that I started here at OCF on the same subject.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=426473

It appears that when the difference between the vcore and the vdimm is high, their is a greater risk of damaging the cpu while running high voltge ram. The newer cpus, starting with even Winchester, down to Venice all the way through Opterons continue to operate at lower voltages, increasing the risk of this taking place.

The solutions are easy...

(1) run your cpu at high voltage or
(2) run your cpu at high voltage (did I mention that already?), or
(3) trade me your ram for some TCCD which runs at lower voltages, or
(4) sell me you ram cheap and buy some low voltage 2 gig sticks elsewhere.

Just trying to offer helpful suggestions....:D

Back