• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smokey PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Helghas

So I made an error replacing wires on a Molex (Grd & 12 V switch) and it made some nice sparks and smoke. So I got my soldering iron out and opened her up. Found the problems, fixed it, and put her back in. She's running fine now, but she's got this evident burn smell. Anyone know how to get that out? I never thought I'd long for that new PSU smell again.
Brad

Captain Helghas said:
So I made an error replacing wires on a Molex (Grd & 12 V switch) and it made some nice sparks and smoke. So I got my soldering iron out and opened her up. Found the problems, fixed it, and put her back in. She's running fine now, but she's got this evident burn smell. Anyone know how to get that out? I never thought I'd long for that new PSU smell again.
Brad

Might take some time, well it will take some time. Not sure of any other way to get it out. What is that "new" PSU smell? Just wondering because IMO it doesn't smell that great lol. Although it probably smells better than burning PSU.

Nooo, no spray-anything! Well, I just don't like the thought of spraying liquids into a PSU. I'd get a can of compressed air and just let loose in there. You may also try holding the can upside down and spraying the frozen stuff in there. I don't think that will do anything, but the white smoke is very impressive and I will yield that it probably deodorizes better because it's a nice effect and it's very amusing.

I'd say that's just one of those things that you will have to deal with/get used to until it goes away itself. Wouldn't recomment spraying anything in it since you don't exactly know what it holding the smell in there, or exactly where it is coming from.

I agree:

New PSU/hardware smell >>> then burnt electronics smell

Holy cow, I hope that was a joke about spraying air freshener in there! :eek:

That stuff is as flammable as hair spray. Unless it's a Deer, Codegen, or PowMax, I definitely wouldn't spray it with anything. Now if it is one of the above, heck yeah I would spray it with something, but it would be alot more flammable...like gas! LOL I'd set those things on fire for the show, because it's only a matter of time before they catch on fire anyway, so I always say "Why put off the inevitable" hahaha

3DFlyer said:
Holy cow, I hope that was a joke about spraying air freshener in there! :eek:

That stuff is as flammable as hair spray. Unless it's a Deer, Codegen, or PowMax, I definitely wouldn't spray it with anything. Now if it is one of the above, heck yeah I would spray it with something, but it would be alot more flammable...like gas! LOL I'd set those things on fire for the show, because it's only a matter of time before they catch on fire anyway, so I always say "Why put off the inevitable" hahaha
i meant while it was off :shrug:

I know exactly what is causeing the smell. With the 12V and Grnd switched on one molex, a resistor blew (read burned), and now I've got a bit of burned plastic and burned PCB in my PSU.
I really don't think spraying flammable stuff will help. That's kind of the opposite of what I'm going for. I can't smell it anymore, but my wife says she can, and my dog won't go near the machine anymore. I'm almost considering it a blessing, as it keeps the two of them away from my rig.
Brad

Captain Helghas said:
I know exactly what is causeing the smell. With the 12V and Grnd switched on one molex, a resistor blew (read burned), and now I've got a bit of burned plastic and burned PCB in my PSU.
I really don't think spraying flammable stuff will help. That's kind of the opposite of what I'm going for. I can't smell it anymore, but my wife says she can, and my dog won't go near the machine anymore. I'm almost considering it a blessing, as it keeps the two of them away from my rig.
Brad
stick one of those little green pine tree fresheners for cars in there then!
lol, it should fade over time anyway...

Back