• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant get Ubuntu to not crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

I just installed Ubuntu and I am having a major display problem. Everytime I login and get ready to go to the desktop the screen freezes and turns funny colors with many lines flashing everywhere. I assume its a driver problem with my video card. I tried failsafe mode and I get the same error. What can I do ?

Try another driver. Vesa usually works, so try that just to test if that's the problem (you can get nvidia working later if vesa works, just try vesa to see if that is the issue). Just find the driver line in the video card section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

EDIT: Fixed stupid typos.

Last edited:
THat's odd because you have an nvidia driver. Try this. Download the newest ncidia driver from the website. Drop down to runlevel 3 and install the driver and you module. Next make a new xorg file with xorgconfig. This will ensure your monitor is set to the proper values. Then after you make a new xorg file edit the xorg config file with the proper nvidia options. Most mainstream distors all you have to do is change the driver name from nvidia to nv. ALl comment out drm if t's in there.

I believe that ubuntu didnt set you monitor up properly and is using invalid hertz rates wich would give that effect. At the same time there may be a slight possibility that your video card is to new and the standard driver wont support it. At anycase downloading and installing the kernel module takes an extra 5 minutes and is well worth the 3d acceleration.

If you need help doing this hollar back out and me or someone else can help. Might also be worth checking out the forums at linuxquestions.org as they offer a lot of experience there.

Thanks mepis but I actually just got done trying that before I read your post. And no it did not work. But I will go ahead and try using the vesa driver. I am not sure how I would do that. Just change Driver "nv" to driver "vesa" in my etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

Ill go ahead and try that.. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

YES !!! Using the vesa driver worked great ! I am on Ubuntu as we speak. Maybe I should install the nvidia-glx driver now that I can access apt-get eh ?

Thanks

There are 2 nvidia drivers you can use. nv is 2d accelerated only and open source. nvidia is made by nvidia and is closed source but also has 3d acceleration.

Try whichever one you were not using before when it was unstable. Both are faster than vesa.

Yep. I got it installed it and works great. Thanks...now I just need to get my sound working. = P ...Is it even possible to get a creative sound card working under linux ?

If not I guess I could use onboard.

My sound blaster live works fine. emu10k1 or snd-emu10k1 is the module iirc.

Back