• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another help me build my PC thread...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Unsp. Horror

Yay.

Hello, here´s my current under construction list of stuff to buy:

THERMALTAKE XASER V DAMIER (V5000D) Cheap and easy to find, but isn´t it a bit too noisy with 5 fans?
AMD Athlon 64 4400+
A8N32-SLI Deluxe
2xOCZ PLATINUM 2X1024 OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K
2xMSI NX7800GTX-VT2D512E
Western Digital Raptor 74 Gb 10000RPM
Western Digital Caviar RE2 SATA150 400GB 16MB
LG DVD-RW 16X OEM GSA4167B
LCD ViewSonic 19 VP930B 1000:1 8ms 170° DVI
UPS APC Smart-UPS 1000VA
Sound Blaster X-Fi™ XtremeMusic
Edifier R501 (2004 edition)
Logitech® MX™ 518 Gaming-Grade™ Optical Mouse (lol, is it good?)
Logitech® Media Keyboard Elite
Joystick Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

I´ll use it for gaming and some rendering. I plan to OC the CPU too.
Which air cooling should I get?

Thermaltake BigTyphoon
Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (hard to find at the moment)
Zelman9500LED

The problem is the PSU, will a OCZ Powerstream SLI 520 or 600 be enough for this system?
Or something else?

C&C are welcome, thanks :)

:welcome: to the Forum!
Answering your last question first, I would not recommend the OCZ 600 because it is dual rail. The 520 is actually better and should be adequate for your rig. Personally, I suggest you not by MSI video cards. I have one and it's not the greatest. (Their cards do enjoy a better rep than their mobos) The Freezer 64 is hard to find because it's been replace by a new model, the Freezer 7, I believe it's called and it's been well received by users and reviewers. I think you are better off with a cooler that has a fan blowing down on your board such as the Freezer or the Zalman. TT cases are alright (I have one) but there are certainly better out there.

Good luck with your new rig. It looks quite impressive. :thup:

those are some siiick specs. that'll be a beastly rig. just make sure you get the powerstream 520 like rseven said :)

2xOCZ PLATINUM 2X1024 OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

Is that 4GB of ram? Definitely not needed for most users, 2GB can run games and most applications fine. Another downfall of 4GB is that you'll be forced to run in 2T configuration, due to the fact that you'll have more then 2 sticks of ram, and 2T configuration can show performance decreases.

And yeah, try a different brand of that 7800GTX. eVGA, XFX, and BFG makes the most popular ones, choosing either of those are great choices.

And yeah, I'd say the OCZ Powerstream520 should do fine, if you want to be 120% sure, there's a PCP&C 510 model for $190 though.

Some people are a tad iffy with Thermaltake cases, I recommend the Lian-li full towers or that CM Stacker 830 is good too.

Your rig sounds great, definately get the powerstream 520w. If you wanted more power another powersupply you could consider is the 650w zippy with 45a on the 12v.

As for cooling, I'd reccomend the si-120 if you want air blowing down on your motherboard.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Videocard, what about the Asus cards? They have 3 version of the 512 hehe :D, which one is "the one" also the other one I can find is the BFG OC but it´s a LOT more expensive at U$D1149 compared to the U$D848 for the MSI.

I think eVGA might be available at some places, XFX most likely but I don´t trust their cards much after losing two MX440 from them, one was my fault though heh, the other had a problem with the fan which stopped working at some point, sadly I was too late to notice.

I´m thinking that it will come down to which one is available when I´m going to do the shopping, heh :D

Case, I forgot to mention, none of the Cooler Master are available, only a few Lian Li and some others but (except for the Lian Li) they are not very good.
Which of the Lian-li do you recommend for good cooling?

RAM, Ok, I´ll reduce it to 1X of the RAMs then, I can always buy another one if I need it later :)

PSU, I´ll try to find the PCP&C 510 or the Zippy 650 too just in case.

CPU Fan, if I understand correctly the si-120 has no fan, so which fan should I put in there? The other drawback is that it´s a bit too expensive at U$D105 while the Zalman is at U$D95 and the BT at U$D75. I don´t mind paying more but I don´t want to pay too much if it´s not really necessary ;)
The Freezer 7
The Freezer 7 Pro is designed for the Intel LGA775 platform.
I don´t think it will work in mine :D

The "latest" stuff is hard to find and expensive because of where I live, Argentina :)

Sorry, about the bum steer on the Freezer. The new one for AMD is the Freezer 64 Pro. I would go with the Zalman rather than running up costs with the Thermalright.

I am not familiar with the different types of Asus video cards, but they are a good brand and I would be much more comfortable with theirs over MSI's.

If you go with one stick of ram you will lose dual channel and you will need to match the same stick and IC's for DC operation down the road. The up side is you will most likely be able to overclock higher with one stick of ram.

The RAM is a 2x1024 sticks kit :)

And sorry I was wrong, the SI-120 is at $105 with a Panaflo 120mm, there´s also the XP90C + Panaflo 92mm and XP120 + Panaflo 120mm at similar price.

Dark, thanks but I can´t buy them from here, it would increase the cost too much that way.

Last edited:
Back