• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AVG free version.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rockafella134

Is it true that it doesnt delete viruses? Whats the point of it then? Of course I can delete it manually but still.

Is Avant better?

Yeah, I ran ZA and AVG full versions a few months ago. The protection seemed good but after over a year of use I honestly felt both were starting to fail in the quality they once had.

tenchi86 said:
Yeah, I ran ZA and AVG full versions a few months ago. The protection seemed good but after over a year of use I honestly felt both were starting to fail in the quality they once had.

What do you use now?

Right now I am using Pc-cillin 2005. This program does cost money however so I would think you wouldn't want it. For you I would recommend if you have not tried itKespersky or AntiVir for your antivirus.Antivirus test, it seems to be pretty close to another one I saw that used more then 30k viruses to test, the only differnce is Kesperky and Panda got the top two spots I beleive. As for the firewall for free ones ZA is probably still amongst the best in the sense of blocking things. Firewall review might want to check it out, it seems to recommend Sygate which I have heard good things about, though never tested it myself so can't tell you how well it really works.

That review is almost 5 years old.

I found that Kaspersky/Outpost is a good combo. I was using Kerio, but it is soon to be dead.

They both offer features that I find to be really nice.

Kaspersky - Good detection, loads of updates. Light on the system. Protects agianst net worms too. I had a few hits where where I prompted about an attempted worm attack. I kept thiniking it was my firewall. Then I noticed it was Kaspersky giving the warning. Very active if need be. Easy to config once you see the layout.

Outpost - Loads of features, it protects your browsers also. It can do ad blocking/flash/active(X) content blocks and spyware scans. Also does popup blocks too. It is almost like a virus scanner for your network. It is as active as you want it to be. I like it configures easy. Not as light as most, but the active features can be disabled to make it lighter.

Last edited:
first i use avg, then avast, then antivir, and now im using NOD32. i think nod32 is the best antivirus i ever used because its really fast and it catches alot of viruses. well, as least the chart says it at av-comparative

AVG is very cool, always gets rid of any virus i may have (though its not often, if ever, i get a virus)

One bad thing is when it scans... Its takes around 2 hours to scan my computer (3 hdd's though) and its a memory hog [While scanning].

I ran AVG for a couple of weeks, but then it found a virus that it couldn't delete. I switched to Avast and am now running it on 3 machines without a problem.

Yeah, I switched from AVG to Avast on my second rig (AMD rig). I am using Norton on my main rig (P4 rig), but the trial runs out soon so I will be using Avast on that machine as well. Overall I have had no problems with any or the three I just listed.

I've only used avg the past year or so, its got a couple viruses on my computer it can't seem to get rid of.

Back