• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chipset temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

namrog84

Registered
so i i just finished installing my
DFI LP ultra-d
amd x64 x2 3800+
a gig of ram
eVGA geforce 7800 GT
new power supply
and just installed windows on a newly formatted harddrive(old hd thou)
i used artic silver 5 when installing proccesser and all

IITE smartguardian
i currently have an idle cpu of 23-24 C which is totally awesome compared to my old one of 40+

but my PWM IC is 40 idle
and my chipset is 46 idle

is the chipset supposed to be so hot, id be happy with it being under 40, unless its under a load, the fan speed on it, is about 7031rpm, and i have the fan on high, i dunno whats wrong with it, any ideas?
or even if its supposed to be this hot, is there any way to shave off a few degrees, aside from watercooling

and yes my videocard is sorta right covering a small middle portion of it, but not enough that i think it would make a HUGE difference?

i dont have anything plugged inf or fan 2
so i can only see cpu fan and chipset fan's rpm
what is pwmic?
so if i start seeing above 50 average chipset, then i need to worry more?

Here are a few options:

CHIPSET:
>Take of the heat sink and reseat it using AS5. This usually gets you a few degrees cooler.
>Replace the stock HS with an evercool VC-RE. It's quieter and cooler. I saw a 6 degree temp drop at idle and closer to 10 at load. you can get these at <$10
>Move your vid card to the lower slot but don't forget to move the SLI jumpers. Otherwise you'll be runing at 2x rather than 8x.
>Get an aftermarket cooler for your vid card that vents the heat out of the case. Arctic cooling NV silencers are good for this.

PWMIC
>Mount a fan in your case that blows over the area shown in the post above. It will dramatically reduce you temps. That's about the only way to effectively help this temp unless you have poor case airflow. In that case, clean things up to improve it.

Back