• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quietest Optical Drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quietest Optical Drive?

• LG

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Lite-On

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • NEC

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Samsung

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Plextor

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Sony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • MSI

• TDK

• Other [Please post]

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

David

Forums Super Moderator
Poll requested.

Radical said:
Hi, I would like to poll members on which manufacturer they think makes the quietest optical drives. Here are the manufacturers that I think should be included, let me know if you think of more that should be included:

LG
Lite-On
NEC
Samsung
Plextor
Sony
Pioneer

And then there should be an "other" option. If they choose other, they should specify as to the manufacturer they have in mind.

Let me know what you think of this idea, and thanks a lot!

That's a tough question, my 716sa has a quiet mode where DVD doesn't go above 1x(very acceptable for playback) and it keeps the CD-Rom spinning low too. When it's in this mode, I can barely hear the drive at all.

When it's NOT in this mode.... well, let's just say I bought sound deadener and put it on the INSIDE of my drive. :eek:

I just voted for which drive I hear of the most, and I'm never really thought about this, so lets see those results.

i voted plextor cause they are the most expensive :p. that may sound dumb, but i really have no preference. The cheaper, the better to me. I tend to break anything i touch, so yea.

Aidenswarrior said:
i voted plextor cause they are the most expensive :p. that may sound dumb, but i really have no preference. The cheaper, the better to me. I tend to break anything i touch, so yea.
LOL same here!

Why didn't you include BenQ, lol oh wells.

I voted for Plextor as well, it's probably most quiet due to the fact that your paying almost double of what you'd pay for normal optical drives.

I voted NEC, but I don't know any others. I mean considering I was using a 5 year old 48X CDROM, the NEC is VERY quiet. But it may not be quiet compared to other current drives. So I don't know.

My vote is for NEC since my 3520A has been very quiet for everything I've used it for, or at least a lot quieter than my Lite-On drives have been. I've also heard that Samsung drives are quiet, but I've never used them before. And thanks for making this poll, David!

Timing, timing! I just made the switch into the DVD realm. I picked this up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827135136

Asus DVD-E616A. Quietest optical drive I have ever used, by far. My PC already makes a slight whirling noise from fans, but all my other optical drives I've been feel the vibrations and hear them spinning MUCH MUCH louder than the pc. This Asus is somethin else man, I'll pick up an Asus burner next too. Nice drive.

Should'nt there be an option for no opinion?

I voted plextor because out of the (about) 10 drives I have tested it is the most silent. It comes with an application to set the maximum speed (separately for diferant medias), spinup speed and tray opening speed. With a bit of tweaking you can make it inaudible. The nice part is, that the changes are written to firmware, so they are valid also when not under windows.

This only applies for the premium models.

Current Nec's are quite (3500a/3520a/3550a) , with the latest 3550a being the quietest (almost dead silent) .

I also have a older (3+years old) Toshiba 16X DVD drive (non-burner) that has always performed xint and very quite (still going strong).

My past Plextors were loud (new versions may be better ?)

Past Lite-on's (cd-burner) were ok , but died early (1yr) and were loud compared to my Nec's .

Last edited:
Plextor. I'm currently using a PX-716SA dvd writer on my computer and it's quiet whether I'm watching a dvd movie, burning, or playing a game. I also have an external Plextor DVD burner, PX-712UF that's also quiet. The other brand of cd burners I used in the past are Ricohs and they were loud.

Back