• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two systems, please help me decide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

janne2001

I have to choose between two systems.

The first system is an Opteron 144 (CAB2E?), an X-Fi XtremeMusic and an DFI Ultra-D.

The second system is an X2 3800+ and a DFI Ultra-D.

Which one of these should I get? The Opteron system is cheaper, and I could pick it up today. I'll have to wait for the X2 one.

The system will use 2x1024mb G.Skill 2GBZX and an PoV 7800GT and will be used for gaming, overclocking, music, game programming and stuff like that.

I will get back with results and stuff if anyone is interested.

Thanks so very much in advance!

Id go with the cheaper opteron setup right now, and use your X-Fi, 7800GT to upgrade to SocketM when they have greater than dual core processors available, or dual core when its cheaper and faster.

THis could be perhaps the same situation we were all in when purchasing the DFI Lanparty NF3's and S754 processors when the S939's were about to come out in the next year.

First off, dont get the X-Fi. Wait for bluegears new release, the xplosion. It comes out january 16th and has a ton more and more advanced options. I own the X-fi and ill be ebaying it for the new bluegears when it is released, but if your set on it maybe you will be the one to buy mine :D.

But you really should just save your money for the new M2 socket. It will be using different RAM frequencys and making DDR obsolete. But if you cannot wait go with the opteron.

I can't wait for the Bluegears, or the M2. I've been without a computer for too long now!

I'll be upgrading to G80, M2, DDR2 etc in May next year. This system is just a "temporary" gaming system.

Adding a sound card is easier then upgrading a CPU, definitely go for the dual core. Even with M2 released in Q2 2006, it'll most likely be first released with the higher end cores, just like the X2s coming out with X2 4400+ and X2 4800+ first then X2 3800+ came last a few months later.

Back