Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

Water cooling nightmare stories

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 08:28 AM Thread Starter   #1
NGL_BrSH

Water cooling nightmare stories

I'm one to learn by mistakes.. whether or not if they are my own or someone else's I usually won't go down the same path.
If we had some stories in here of things that has happened to people in the past that would be helpful and possibly entertaining :P
IE: Leaks, fires, fish in the lines etc..

so if you got one.. lemme hear it
NGL_BrSH is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 08:50 AM   #2
Tat2monsta

yeah i second that... i wanna hear scary and sad stories too
Tat2monsta is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 09:08 AM   #3
JoT
You can't fire me, I have tenure!

10 Year Badge

Don't get an acrylic topped three barb block. They crack. And drown your entire system.

It sucks

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---
Welcome to the forums. Please read all of the forum rules. Thank you =) --- What mods are active that I can PM my concerns to?
JoT is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 09:10 AM   #4
Tat2monsta

my thermaltake block cracked on its own... i removed it from my system and left it on my desk..it was fine when i left it there.. 2 weeks later there was a masiv crack and it hadnt been moved touched or anything,good job i took that piece of crap out when i did...

p.s what hapend when yours cracked apart from getting wet... anything die as a result?
Old 12-12-05, 09:19 AM   #5
ocZer

The tubing near the outlet of my pump was clogged because I was cleaning it and replacing the water, so it was running with car radiator detergent. The pressure buildup made the tubing on the outlet of the pump fall off. As a result I had a 30cm high fountain inside my pc. Lucky for me that the computer was not plugged in, and I had removed some of the hardware while cleaning it. Had to replace my mobo, but everything else worked.
ocZer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 09:38 AM Thread Starter   #6
NGL_BrSH

oh man that sucks!
keep the stories rolling... great monday morning reading material.
Old 12-12-05, 10:12 AM   #7
JoT
You can't fire me, I have tenure!

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2monsta
my thermaltake block cracked on its own... i removed it from my system and left it on my desk..it was fine when i left it there.. 2 weeks later there was a masiv crack and it hadnt been moved touched or anything,good job i took that piece of crap out when i did...

p.s what hapend when yours cracked apart from getting wet... anything die as a result?
Lots of things died. I think I recall losing about $800 worth of parts.

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---
Welcome to the forums. Please read all of the forum rules. Thank you =) --- What mods are active that I can PM my concerns to?
JoT is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 10:20 AM   #8
Tat2monsta

ouch
Old 12-12-05, 10:25 AM   #9
Xoligy

installed the system didnt leak test 1month down the line gfx card displaying red lines thought it was because of overclock and posted on here, went to remove the card felt water said bolx! Fixed the lead made a water catcher to make sure didnt happen again RMA'd as only had the card a month it took forever got a new card am happy again leak free!

All in all... leak tests always help specially when it's your 1st water setup
Xoligy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 10:27 AM   #10
Bugsmasher

I know some people question the need for it but...

Went without any form of anti-growth in a loop for about 4 months with an Anti-freeze/Distilled water mix. 4 months later I was up for a Nobel prize for creation of a new life form but....my system was down for several days waiting for new tubing to arrive. At that point I didnt have any effective way of cleaning out my tubing so had to wait for it to arrive.

Catastrophic? No, no components lost beyond some tubing. Annoying? Yes, no computer for 4 days waiting for the replacement tubing to arrive.

Watercooling Setup - MCP600, T-Line, Home-made Monster Reservoir, MCW6002, Fedco 2-199 w/home-made shrouds in a push/pull config, 4 Sanyo Denki 120mm beasts (undervolted to 7), 7/16"ID-5/8"OD MasterKleer tubing
Bugsmasher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 11:59 AM Thread Starter   #11
NGL_BrSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsmasher
I know some people question the need for it but...

Went without any form of anti-growth in a loop for about 4 months with an Anti-freeze/Distilled water mix. 4 months later I was up for a Nobel prize for creation of a new life form but....

bahaha.. any pics?

this could really turn out to be a great thread
Old 12-12-05, 12:20 PM   #12
Bugsmasher

Unfortunately I didnt snap any pictures when this happened. I really should have. The growth was in the form of small brown/black spots that almost resembled dust on my tubing....but it kept spreading and getting darker. Then I was worried it was some form of corrrosion so I drained my loop into a tupperware container and set that inside my case (which I reverted to air cooling after waiting a few days) to replicate the temps while it was in the loop. Kept getting darker and actually smelled pretty nasty.

All in all it was a complete friggin pain in the arse. I sincerely suggest people use anti-growth.

Watercooling Setup - MCP600, T-Line, Home-made Monster Reservoir, MCW6002, Fedco 2-199 w/home-made shrouds in a push/pull config, 4 Sanyo Denki 120mm beasts (undervolted to 7), 7/16"ID-5/8"OD MasterKleer tubing
Bugsmasher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 01:09 PM   #13
Seven7Thirty30

This is a great idea. This thread can really be useful. I'm about to take the plunge into water cooling myself, and I can't wait to hear all the stories.

For those of you who post past experiences, be sure to include how you fixed them so we can really benefit from it.

2 x Corsair GT 120GB SSDs, 2 x Seagate XT 2TB RAID
Enermax 1350W
Modified LIan-Li PC-C60B with Custom EK Water Cooling System
Seven7Thirty30 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 01:15 PM   #14
ocZer

Never had any problem with growth myself, and I have run a system for a full year with just destilled water and no additives at all. Do you use tap water in your system?
Old 12-12-05, 01:35 PM   #15
Theorie

oh man i've got a really good one.

a picture is worth 1000 words right?
Theorie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 01:46 PM   #16
ocZer

what is that?
Old 12-12-05, 01:49 PM   #17
pwnt by pat

trying to use lowes generic 3/4" ID tubing and getting it to seal properly... a real adventure.

Raptor 360gb + Seagate sata 400gb
Pioneer DVR-106
Antec True350
Cheapest black USB keyboard from the Egg + Razer Viper

Some people don't deserve to have anything electronic other than a TV, and maybe a toaster, becuase they may hurt themselves and possibly someone else.
pwnt by pat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 01:55 PM   #18
Theorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorie
oh man i've got a really good one.

a picture is worth 1000 words right?
WHAT? YOU DON'T KNOW!?!? its the most 1337 waterblock ever... havent you been following the progress on this bad boy?!?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=429288
Theorie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 02:01 PM   #19
Vrykyl
Tornado Guy

i swear thats a mouldy sandwhich with pipes stuck in it...
Vrykyl is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-12-05, 02:09 PM   #20
noob_ass
Registered

gl on your next try...
noob_ass is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop