• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD Fill Port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

my054runner

I ordered a DD Fill Port. What size of a bit do I need to drill a hole in my case? I haven't received it yet but I wanted to go to Home Depot today and get it. Also, would I need one of those step bits? I emailed DD but they haven't responded.

If it requires a 1" drill bit, HD probably wont have a regular one, so you will have to go with a hole saw. Hole saws from my experience will make the hole about 1/16" bigger then the size it says. If you want a regular 1" drill bit, go to a more specialized builders supply. But bring your fatty wallet because they are spendy when they get that big!

i did a load of pilot holes with a 4mm drill around the area where my filport was to go.. then cut the inbetween bits with a dremel then cleaned up the edges to make as circular as possable... dont worry if it isnt totaly round. so long as you dont make the hole to big. the port its self has a small overhang to cover the hole you made... i hope this helps

Tat2monsta said:
i did a load of pilot holes with a 4mm drill around the area where my filport was to go.. then cut the inbetween bits with a dremel then cleaned up the edges to make as circular as possable... dont worry if it isnt totaly round. so long as you dont make the hole to big. the port its self has a small overhang to cover the hole you made... i hope this helps

thats true i'll probably end up doing all that soon, i have a fill port on the table where i am (tho i lost the alan key somehow!?!) just gotta drain the system and do the work

i remember seeing somewhere that dd fillports come with an alan wrench. it shows a wrench in the pic on the dd website so i assume that i comes with one. no worries there :)

If you have a screwdriver that takes hex. bits, I noticed the part of the bit that fits into the screwdriver will also fit into the filport. I lost my allen key for a while too, and that's what I had to do.

This is the kind of bit I mean, if that was confusing

Attachments

• SKT73518.jpg
    SKT73518.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 206
thanks guys. I dont have a dremel so I'll have to see what hd has to offer in the 1 inch range.

electric drill w/ 1" hole saw will get the job done within 1 minute, if you don't have those then you can borrow your friends or something rather than spend money to buy and only use one time

I bought an "all-in-one" 1" holesaw at home depot this weekend for $5.. its the 1" saw with the pilot bit welded on i guess.. I'll be drilling my holes tomm probably (gonna use a DD fillport) so I'll let you know how it goes.

Holesaw might make a mess. Just get a 1" spade bit. They're cheap, easy as anything to find, and work fine. I just finished putting a fillport in mine, but I used a brass garden hose end and a brass cap. Looks very nice :D.

J.

zebkoolindc said:
A spade bit will never make it through steel

What makes you say something like that? I just went through 2 layers of heavy secc steel in the top of my aopen h700b with my spade bit with no problem at all. It's easy enough to find out what drill bits are intended for what use. Spade bits are generally bi-metal bits. They are designed to go through wood or metal. Most hole saws on the other hand are NOT designed to go through steel. One or two holes and the bit is shot. There are a few bi-metal hole saw bits, but they are hard to find and pricey. Bi-metal spade bits are easy to find at any hardware store, cheap, durable, and effective. General purpose spiral drill bits are usually bi-metal as well, but unless you get some good titanium or carbide bits they won't last beyone one use through some hefty steel.

if you'll look at DD fill ports and enlarge image - click through - you'll see how they use 2 fill ports - 1 in top to fill - and 1 at bottom in back of case to drain - very nice - i have 2 - my drain - i just stuck the tube out the bottom slot of case

the allen wrench?
it screws a round cap with o ring into fill port - air tight - very nice

~RD

Just wanted to update on the cheap holesaw I bought at home depot.. worked wonderful. Took about 3 minutes to cut 4 perfect holes in my case.. fit the 3/4" ID rubber grommets that were also bought at home depot picture perfectly.. same as my DD fillport.

girlfriend broke my digital camera some months ago.. thats the next thing on my list of stuff to buy though :p i'll post the finished project eventually. (looks horrible anyway, rofl.. need to redo the external rad/fan mounting)

anyway thats for another thread :)

Back