• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 7800GT??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

night8jim

I am looking at a 7800GT, the one i wanted is the XFX 7800GT but is now sold out!! :argue:

What one can someone advise me quick?

and wat is the X1800XL compare?

could some one help quick!!!

You can't go wrong with eVGA especially when you can get it for $299 and these come with copper HS's as well so they run pretty cool and you can OC them pretty good.

As far as comparison to x1800XL's they seem to be on par on some games/benches, but GT's are better.

oh thx for the quick reply, i didn't think it would be this much trouble to order a card lol.

i am in the uk tho, i have 160 uk pounds to spend max.

I was looking at the XFX 7800GT extreme edition but cannot find it in stock now.
Is the ATI card better once overclocked?

cheers for the help.

x1800XL will have a voltage controll through drivers which will allow you for higher OC, provided that you have a good cooling solution so it's not guaranteed that you will get good clocks of start using stock HS.

As for buying extreme edition cards take my advice and stay away from them since they are nothing more then scams that companies use to squeeze more $$$ out of you. All they do is edit the cards BIOS and flash with slightly higher clocks which you can get yourself on most any card in same class and save $$$. This just doesn't go out for XFX but for other usual suspects as well like BFG.

If I were you I'd get eVGA's or the cheapest GT that you can find, but the reason I'm recommending eVGA is because they have one of the best costumers supports and their cards are usually always the best in class. Also if you can find a cheaper x1800XL consider that as well as both of these cards are great and will give you simalr performance but GT is slightly better.

i might be sounding a bit stuped, but are these cards not better than the oc own brand that iss 40 pound cheaper?

They are same exact cards!

Like I said:

ME said:
As for buying extreme edition cards take my advice and stay away from them since they are nothing more then scams that companies use to squeeze more $$$ out of you. All they do is edit the cards BIOS and flash with slightly higher clocks which you can get yourself on most any card in same class and save $$$. This just doesn't go out for XFX but for other usual suspects as well like BFG.

ok i must be stuped lol, do you know where i can get that XFX special edition card from that is uv?

eVGA cards are quite hard to find in the UK. Well, I've never found one anyway, apart from on eBay.

No need to buy a "extreme" edition of a card, they are only pre-OCed. You can simply OC it yourself and save lots of money. You can't go wrong with eVGA or BFG brands, both are all as high quality as XFX are.

i moved to ATI now got a X1800XL :shrug:

Lets see wat i can achive with this!

RedDragonXXX said:
They are same exact cards!

Like I said:
I have two questions do the manufactures check the chips before they use them for overclocking or test the cards for stability.

Are there people that don't get what the factory gets for overclocking because i have seen people in this form having trouble with stock OC BfG

I just purchased 6200 OC agp and i cant get it past 375 core
that is how my luck has Been for the past five years with all PC components
and I'm tried of having to return products that don't overclock well.

I'm going to return this card probably

Here is the link detail
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=429757

wingman99 said:
I have two questions do the manufactures check the chips before they use them for overclocking or test the cards for stability.

Are there people that don't get what the factory gets for overclocking because i have seen people in this form having trouble with stock OC BfG

I just purchased 6200 OC agp and i cant get it past 375 core
that is how my luck has Been for the past five years with all PC components
and I'm tried of having to return products that don't overclock well.

I'm going to return this card probably

Here is the link detail
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=429757

They know that these VPU's can scale more then what Nvidia rates them at depending on ambient temp and all they do is bump it up by few more MHz to attract buyers. You can do this exact same thing if you were to buy less expensive card that runs on stock clocks used on reference cards.

BFG GTX's are prime examples why you shouldn't buy one because they didn't change the stock ALU HS that comes on reference cards which causes them to put out some serious heat (I seen people get 80C+ on these cards).

night8jim said:
i moved to ATI now got a X1800XL :shrug:

Lets see wat i can achive with this!

Thata boy... Go ATI hehehe

Also im amazed to what some people pull off with there high OC's on these cards with just stock coolers. Even some higher then my clocks and I run relativley cool compared to them.

I'd go with eVGA over XFX...it seems every XFX card either I or my friend gets is DOA or burns up. Second we jumped on the eVGA band wagon we were hitting insane clocks on air. Plus their customor support & prices rock.

Scan started selling eVGA cards. That's the first time I've seen a UK retailer selling their cards.

Back