• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

??? on 7800gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been running Bf2 since it came out with two sticks of 512mb. Havent had a problom so 2gbs isnt a must. Just will make the game run smoother.

Yeah you're going to need 2 gigs, unless you like it to lag in the beginning while it loads whatever else it needs to.

I play maxed with my system, but for the first 2 mins or so, I get really bad freezes. Frame rate is 100 fps + in generally though.

The 2gbs only means it will not take as long to load maps/etc. Game play is fine.

Correct. Tis furture proof.
Id say maybe a minute. A tad longer when "optimizing shaders".

yes 2 gig isn't a must 1 gig a must for bf2!
I have a 6800gt almost maxed out!

What resolution do play at? That's half of the equation...

As for the RAM, I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB and notice a hugh improvement in overall smoothness, map loading times, etc.

With my setup (in sig), I run BF2 at 80-90 FPS with everthing maxed out, 4xAA, 4xAF at 1600x1200. Going to 1920x1200 (my monitor's native resolution) drops my frames to around 60 FPS, so resolution is important.

Son1990 said:
The 2gbs only means it will not take as long to load maps/etc. Game play is fine.

You guys playing the same game as me? When I set my textures to high, for the 1st probably 5 mins, I get nasty freezes once in a while after that, it's fine. This happens to be on my 3.2e@ 4000 and 850 XT PE with only 1 gb of ram also.

You guys dont get this with high textures and 1gb of ram?

7800gtx

i play at 1024x768, i have 1 gig installed. but i am upgrading to 2gb of pc4000 real soon. what i really want to know is should i either get the single 7800gtx now and wait til later on for a second 7800gtx or just get 2 7800gt's now? I am not saying that i will play maxed out but if i can have the option to i want to play maxed out. also who would you guys go for as far as getting the card? xfx,bfg,evga or leadtek. i am leaning towards the leadtek because i have heard nothing but good things about them.

Last edited:
Indyxc1 said:
You guys playing the same game as me? When I set my textures to high, for the 1st probably 5 mins, I get nasty freezes once in a while after that, it's fine. This happens to be on my 3.2e@ 4000 and 850 XT PE with only 1 gb of ram also.

You guys dont get this with high textures and 1gb of ram?

Im playing the same game, obviously not havin the same probloms.

Elwood1984 said:
bf2 will studder right after load, even with 1 gig of ram, i can attest to that.

That's exactly what happens to me. It's such as a hassle i just turned the textures down to medium, and everything else on maxed.

The frame right is 100+, but right after it loads, it just skips around.

And it also has a tendacy to start lagging right when I'm doing a bombing run in a plane, and when it unfreezes I'm dead. :bang head

Indyxc1 said:
That's exactly what happens to me. It's such as a hassle i just turned the textures down to medium, and everything else on maxed.

The frame right is 100+, but right after it loads, it just skips around.

And it also has a tendacy to start lagging right when I'm doing a bombing run in a plane, and when it unfreezes I'm dead. :bang head

Same symptoms minus the 100 frame rate ( :cry: ).

fatguy said:
What resolution do play at? That's half of the equation...

As for the RAM, I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB and notice a hugh improvement in overall smoothness, map loading times, etc.

With my setup (in sig), I run BF2 at 80-90 FPS with everthing maxed out, 4xAA, 4xAF at 1600x1200. Going to 1920x1200 (my monitor's native resolution) drops my frames to around 60 FPS, so resolution is important.
Well hopefully you can run it with settings maxed out with that system!

Back