• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is how you know you're obsessed with overclocking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IWasHungry

Okay so I've been contemplating getting either Opteron165 or Opteron170. I can get the Opteron170 for maybe $10 more. That would be the logical choice, right?
Well, a high overclock on the Opteron165 would be more impressive and challenging than a similar overclock on an Opteron170...so I'm thinking of getting the Opteron165 instead...LOL.

My logical side wants me to get the Opteron170
My show-off side wants me to get the Opteron165

Last edited:
I'd get the 170 any day due to the higher multiplier. Remember you can allways lower it, but never get higher then the default. Atleast I know I'd be kicking myself if I noticed my motherboard would'nt go higher on the fsb, but the chip would.

Also the price of the 165 is artificially high, if you end up selling the processor in the future you'll get more for the 170.

Then again I guess your logical side is allready telling you all this :)

Show off side versus logical side? It sounds more like big brain in versus little brain.(You know the little brain, it's the one that got Clinton in big trouble!:))

rseven said:
Show off side versus logical side? It sounds more like big brain in versus little brain.(You know the little brain, it's the one that got Clinton in big trouble!:))

LOL

Well I went from a X2 3800+ to a Opty 170 just because I couldn't hit 2.6Ghz (was only 50Mhz off truely). I think thats more of an OC obsession then deciding between those 2 CPU's.

BTW yes go for the 170, the 10x multi will help lots more then anything.

er, can't you show off by clocking the 170 higher than others have managed to do? :D

the way to tell if your really obsessed is to buy 3 170 and 3 165 find the one that clocks the highest keep it and sell the rest for a slight loss on the forums here or on ebay.

SteveLord said:
why is it that everyone forgets higher multipliers when choosing cpus? =\

i thinks its related to the higher costs associated with them.

specially with these opterons where the lower multi locked chips are overclocking right along side the higher ones.

hawtrawkr said:
i thinks its related to the higher costs associated with them.

specially with these opterons where the lower multi locked chips are overclocking right along side the higher ones.

But for $10 more, come on.

CWynn said:
But for $10 more, come on.

Agreed... In this case its stupid not to get a 170 unless for some reason there clocking horribly which isn't the case they all OC very well.

I agree, go with the 170. I mean, $10 more gets you a 10x multi.
If you want to show off, you can always lower your multiplier.
Besides, if you buy the 165 you will be rewarding the company that decided that the masses are willing to pay such exhorbitant prices for it.

well i would say the 170 i mean why oc the 165 higher you should strive to oc the 170 higher than imagination

hawtrawkr said:
the way to tell if your really obsessed is to buy 3 170 and 3 165 find the one that clocks the highest keep it and sell the rest for a slight loss on the forums here or on ebay.
I actually would do that lol. However, that would initially cost me an large sum of money (Like more than $2,000), which, as a college student, I simply don't have right now. :)

Back