• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb question-regarding removal of heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XZit

Hey guys.
So this is a sad noob question...

but how do you remove the heatsink? Well I mean I know HOW to remove it--but like, how do you remove it when there is artic silver 5 between it and the cpu without damaging the cpu?

Is there like a solvent you can use that won't damage the motherboard if some spills? How do you pull up the heatsink without damaging the cpu (and not damaging the heatsink if possible)???

Thanks!

pz

xzit, as5 isn't in a liquid state so it wont drip.

what heatsink, mobo/cpu are we talking about.

heatsinks can either be attached by clips or mounted using the holes around the zif.

when you remove the heatsink it should be stuck to the cpu, its not glue.

naw I think you guys misunderstand me.

Ya I know as5 isn't glue, but after I installed the heatsink, it seemed like it was gonna require some effort to remove the heatsink. I just didn't wanna yank on it or whatever.
I'm trying to put on a new heatsink thats all.

anyhow prob. doesn't matter.
But its a dfi lanparty ultra D motherboard with a venise amd 64 3200+

pz

now i understand, the as5 is still tacky. still it shouldn't be a problem to pull the heatsink out.

i've done it to old pc's that used wax as tim. when you pull the heatsink, pull it staight out. if it does pull the cpu, the pins wont bend/break.

when I pull the heatsink straight up--will the cpu come out of its socket and break the socket inlay on the motherboard?

Is there a solvent I can use to weaken the bond of the as5?

pz

First, run the PC for a while to heat the AS5 up. Game or test for at least 30 minutes if possible.
too much AS5/TIM can cause a suction effect due to the large IHS and Heatsink.
It is very important that you wiggle the HS back and forth carefully before attempting to pull up. hopefully you will break the bond if you follow this procedure. After you have done this pull the Heat sink straight up.

There have been numerous reports of pulling the CPU right out of the socket (even when locked down) and failure to pull straight up may break or bend some pins voiding the warranty. This is another reason to insure that you don't use anymore AS5/Ceramique/or whatever than is recommended. Those that use the stock AMD "pad" may experience the same problem.

From the AMD website - How to remove the Heatsink
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/con...sets/03-English-K8-Heatsink-Remove-LowRes.wmv

Turn on the PC and let it run for about a half an hour or so under a load. Turn it off and remove the clips to the Heatsink then gently twist the heatsink back and forth with your hand while gently lifting in the corner where your thumb is. You will gradually work some air in then and break the vacuum seal.

is there a safe solvent that can be used to help in breaking the bond?

pz

Xzit you can't pour the solvent, Rubbing Alchohol on your mobo and hope it gets under the HS to break the bond. don't worry about it, make sure your cpu is hot. and just wiggle and pull i have had the Cpu be pulled out of the socket as long as you don't rip it out it is find. gently wiglle and pull straight out then clean with Rubbing alchohol. it breaks up the AS5, but no there is no solvent that you can pour between the bond of AS5 and the HS because firstly that section should be completely Stuck together with no ari bubble, that way you are getting the proper contact with the TIM. no air bubles means no space for solvent to go. rubbing alchool if it spills clean it up and the rest will evaporate so no worries about spills. just follow the directions here and you will be fine.

You can also try using a hair dryer to the base of the HS if running prime for 30 mins doesnt do it for you.

No, you wouldn't want to pour anything on it while your CPU is still on the mobo.

Once the retentsion levers are released, just pull straight up on the heatsink making sure the retainers on the sides are off. Sometimes the CPU will come straight up with it due to a "suction" effect of excess AS5. If the heatsink comes off by itself, you can simply pull the CPU off as well.

Back