• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i remove history in windows explorer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marc1

Someone just caught me in the eye.
Anyone can enlight me, beside the registry, user account or internet config how to remove registry from windows internet explorer and put it back at will?
thank you
M :rolleyes:

Wait, are you asking how to remove the registry and cookies and what not without moving the registry and cookies? Please explain a little more what excacly you want thanks.

marc1 said:
Anyone can enlight me, beside the registry, user account or internet config how to remove registry from windows internet explorer and put it back at will?
thank you
Do you mean "how to remove history from windows internet explorer". That's easy.
"and put it back at will?" that's hard.

Perhaps:
"The history file contains information about the sites you have been to. To secure the history file, I tried my old trick of replacing the History.html file which in my case was found in System Folder/Preferences/Explorer with a folder named History.html, but I discovered this simple trick did not work. It seems if my folder was empty, Explorer replaced my empty History.html folder with a History.html file. To prevent Explorer from replacing my History.html folder, I put a locked or read only file in that folder (in my case I used a small gif, locked it by choosing the gif icon then selecting File/Get Info/ and then checking the “Locked” box, right under the file comments section).This work around of securing the history of your browser, allows a user to view the history of sites visited while the browser is running, but automatically eliminates the data trail when you shut down."

or

Perhaps: You too could use Google!

i prefer to just delete the itemn(s) that i do not want pepole to see ;)

if you ant to put it back you can revisit all the links

marc1 said:
thank you

What is your situation, specifically? Are you in a corporate work enviroment? Have limited user rights?

I would say don't browse to compromising sites, or, get Firefox. You can use CCleaner to wipe the IE History as well.

Forget the previous question I was still unclear let me try again:

Is there a way to access History file in the root then to disable the feature and then enable it again at will? thank you

Are you talking about the index.dat file and the p3p registry

run>regedit> search for "p3p" and there is a list of everything
you accessed in IE

Back