• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debian can't recognize/find soundcard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donciakas

so this is my problem. Installed debian woody and it can't find my soundcard. Have u any sugesstions how to solve my problem. without sound i'm like without hands :shrug:

first off, what kind of sound card is it? once we know that then we can find if you have the right module loading for it and whatever else may be wrong (alsa settings, etc.)

ESS Technology ES1938/ES1941/ES1946 Solo-1(E) Sound Card PCI

Lavalys Everest shows this on windows

donciakas said:
so this is my problem. Installed debian woody and it can't find my soundcard. Have u any sugesstions how to solve my problem. without sound i'm like without hands :shrug:

I tried Ubuntu (Debian-Based), and had onboard sound that wasn't recognized. If you are using onboard sound, the best bet would be to just set up another sound card. :)

ok, in a terminal type lsmod and hit enter. this will bring up a list of the loaded kernel modules. look for snd-es1938 to see if you have the drivers for your card loaded.

Why are you installing Woody? The current version of Debian is Sarge. Woody is out of date.

If you use ALSA: modprobe es1938, if you use OSS: modprobe esssolo1
All assuming you use a 2.6 kernel, possibly a 2.4 and definitely not a 2.2 kernel.

And you really should dist-upgrade to Debian Sarge aka Debian 3.1.
Woody is now 3+ years old

ok, so lets say i wanna upgrade to sarge, i use this apt-get source
how do i have to change apt-get source file that it would upgrade my system?
this is my apt source.list file contence:

deb ftp://ameba.sc-uni.ktu.lt/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ameba.sc-uni.ktu.lt/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
# deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

Suicide Al said:
ok, in a terminal type lsmod and hit enter. this will bring up a list of the loaded kernel modules. look for snd-es1938 to see if you have the drivers for your card loaded.
i ran the command lsmod and it showed me this:

Module Size Used by
af_packet 6136 1

Since Sarge already is the new stable, you don't have to change anything in there except removing the "#" in front of security.debian.org so you can get security updates.
Then you run apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade
Last but not least you update your kernel. Look for a new one with apt-cache search kernel-image|grep image-2.6

klingens said:
Since Sarge already is the new stable, you don't have to change anything in there except removing the "#" in front of security.debian.org so you can get security updates.
Then you run apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade
Last but not least you update your kernel. Look for a new one with apt-cache search kernel-image|grep image-2.6

:santa:
thanx a lot. i updated debian to sarge, just don't know to which kernel version. The sound card was recognised, just my screen resolution now is only 800x600 in gnome :( it would be great U'd tell how to reconfigure my monitor settings ;) cause in gnome screen resolution settinges there's just two choises : 1) 800x600 2)640x480

and..... one more problem:) how about removing packages i don't need? i installed all desktop enviroment, because i couldn't understand how works dselect... so i don't need kde at all, how could i uninstall it? m? :) P.S. Your help is very userful ;) thx a lot

If you want higher resolutions, make sure they are listed in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file (it should be obvious where if you look at it). Also make sure the monitor settings (vsync, hrefresh) are set correctly.

i figure instead of making a whole new thread i would just add my debian sound problem to this one...

it seems like debian detects my sound card (i tried to setup my sound with alsa, but i am not sure it is working right) and i am able to do a test sound from the kde control panel, but that is the only sound i can get working on my system. i did a lspci and got this for my sound:

0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

i checked the sound mixer and i turned up anything i could find and made sure they were not muted... any ideas?

Linux has 2 different sound systems, OSS (Open Source Sound I think) and ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture). ALSA is newer and has replaced OSS. Do you know which you have configured? If you are set up for one, programs using the other won't work. That could explain why some sounds work and others do not. ALSA can be set up to be backwards compatible with OSS.

MRD said:
Linux has 2 different sound systems, OSS (Open Source Sound I think) and ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture). ALSA is newer and has replaced OSS. Do you know which you have configured? If you are set up for one, programs using the other won't work. That could explain why some sounds work and others do not. ALSA can be set up to be backwards compatible with OSS.

i setup ALSA before... i just did an apt-get install alsa and then did alsaconf...

When you use KDE, it uses artsd, a sound daemon/mixer, by default. As long as this daemon hogs the soundcard, no other program can use it, every program needs to go through the sound daemon. But not all programs can, e.g. games generally want direct access to /dev/dspX, xmms has output plugins for artsd but not in debian, etc.
The end result is that generally kde programs can use the soundcard and no one else can as long as artsd runs. If you don't run artsd, kde programs can't use the soundcard however.

ok, so i just re-ran alsaconf and it just started working... weird cause i did nothing different than before... confusing!

*edit: oh i see what you are talking about... i just change the time that kde will let another program take over control of the sound system and it works better now...*

MRD said:
If you want higher resolutions, make sure they are listed in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file (it should be obvious where if you look at it). Also make sure the monitor settings (vsync, hrefresh) are set correctly.

so i found how to add resolutions to the selection list, but still icons of gnome desktop and in folders are very large... how to change their sizes?

Back