• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD64 3800 x2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kcin1204

i just purchased the processor as well as the motherboard and such and have installed the OS WinXP sp2. now just to make sure what kind of OS did i need to install to make sure that since it is a dual core processor to use both processors simultaneously or to at least use the processors to their fullest potential. I have ran folding@home and have done toher tasks but i never see the processors usage go beyond 50%. Is there something i am missing or not doing properly or have i just not taxed the cpu enough to necessitate to fully utilize the the two cores?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

A single Folding at Home client wont use 100% cpu power, as it will only use one core - leaving you one free :D to use both you need to run two instances at once - a guide on how to do this in the folding section.
If you want to check and make sure both cores are being detected, go to device manager and look under processor - there should be both cores listed ;)

but i dont need a specific os to make sure it uses both procesors fully? i see both cores in the task manager and they both show usage on them. i dont know it doesnt seem that much faster running two cores. and i just came from a p3 500mhz. the only thing that seems to run any faster are seriously cumputational intensive apps like seti and folding. but other than that just basic windows usage outlook Openoffice and such just run the same speed if not slower......i thiink im missing something....thanks for the help

nick

kcin1204 said:
but i dont need a specific os to make sure it uses both procesors fully? i see both cores in the task manager and they both show usage on them. i dont know it doesnt seem that much faster running two cores. and i just came from a p3 500mhz. the only thing that seems to run any faster are seriously cumputational intensive apps like seti and folding. but other than that just basic windows usage outlook Openoffice and such just run the same speed if not slower......i thiink im missing something....thanks for the help

nick

XP Home is good enough to support AMD x2 Dual-Core as they are "logical cores", not dual "physical cores" which you will have XP Pro or W2K Pro to support that! You will need SW Applications which can support "multi-threads" to be able to make use of your Dual-Cores, and these "multi-threaded" Applications are still not very common currently.However you may forces some SW Applications to make use of your Dual-Core Configurations by entering your "Task Manager", choose "Process" which should display what % is being used by individual logic core for what Applications, and set their "Affinity" accordingly to do that. Of course you will have to do that again IF after re-booting! Please SEARCH this Forum regarding x2 Dual-Core for details yourself!! :rolleyes:

Back