• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bisyfxn

Registered
I am going to change my board from a Iwil kk266 to a shuttle AK31 ver 3.1 and was wondering who has tried doing a motherboard change by deleating the (ENUM) key in the registry.I have heard that this will save a windows reload by just removing all the drivers and windows will redetect these on startup,which will save a lot of time over reformating.I am looking for advice from those of you that have did this and how did it work out?
Thanks
Mike

I was always to believe that you would have to do a clean install when changing the MB. Let me know how this works out, because I change motherboards on a regular basis.
Abb

ENUM in registry

Heelo,

Actually he's right "by deleating the (ENUM) key in the registry" The Only thing is that I have always read to make sure it's the same chipset ie, change ViA for ViA, and Intel for Intel, NOT VIA for Intel..

Good luck

Kobi

Well it worked fine for me and all my programs were saved.The only thing i had to do after was to run windows and install the drivers again,and windows found most of them anyway.This saved a lot of time over a compleat format and reinstall.The enum key is found in the registry under H KEY LOCAL MACHINE.Thats where you deleat the enum folder.Make sure you have your important stuff backed up just in case though.
Mike

bisyfxn said:
The enum key is found in the registry under H KEY LOCAL MACHINE.Thats where you deleat the enum folder.Make sure you have your important stuff backed up just in case though.
Mike
There is an ENUM there and also in HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG. Do I deleat them both?
Abb :confused: :confused: :confused:

I only deleted the enum key in H KEY LOCAL MACHINE and it worked for me,don't know what to tell you about the other one.
Mike

do u have to do a clean install or delete the enum key in the registry when u r swapping the mobo?? why?? i thought as long as u install the new driver for the mobo, everything should be ok??:confused:

Last time I swapped mobo on a system I changed everything, so basically the only thing from the old system was the HDD and windows install. Put this in the new system booted fine and after windows did a few hardware setups it was fine! To be honest I was amazed!:)

I swap boards pretty often too - have never deleted a registry item and have never had to reinstall windows! This should not be a problem. I've done this on ME, XP Pro and 2000 without incident.

Back