• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No end to 939 Opterons just yet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thanks for this, great to finally see an official announcement from amd on the matter.

“Socket 939 AMD Opteron 100 Series processors are in production. AMD will continue to produce Opteron 100 Series processors with ECC unbuffered memory support in 2006, and we will adjust production volumes as needed to supply our server and workstation customers,” said Brett Jacobs, a spokesman for AMD.

hopefully the dualcores really come down in price next year. i see newegg hasn't turned off the rape switch yet, actually they've tuned it up a little with the 148.

hopefully the stepping/week and four letter code on my next amd processor will finally be a choice combo! i gotta win sometime.

Very nice find!

benbaked said:
thanks for this, great to finally see an official announcement from amd on the matter.

hopefully the dualcores really come down in price next year. i see newegg hasn't turned off the rape switch yet, actually they've tuned it up a little with the 148.

hopefully the stepping/week and four letter code on my next amd processor will finally be a choice combo! i gotta win sometime.

LMFAO Rape Switch? That made my day. hahaa

Yeah, it really didn't make too much sense to stop selling a process that was recieving lots of popularity. Great to hear it coming back, maybe prices will drop soon.

Note the "server and workstation" part. They never said they are going to keep selling them seperately, just that they are going to keep making them. Who gets to sell them to whom is a totally different matter.

Not necessarily. From the sounds of it the opties are just being pulled from the retail shelves. It doesn't matter if they are still making them if the quantities are going to be limited.

...were suitable for overclocking, a practice to make chips work at higher clock-speed in order to get higher performance while risking with lifetime of the chip.

Hmmm, something about the way they said that makes me start cracking up. LOL

But yes, I am glad to hear an offical announcement. Like others have said, it would be foolish for AMD to stop making these things.

"...AMD will continue to produce Opteron 100 Series processors with ECC unbuffered memory support in 2006..."

Sounds like the socket 940's will continue to be made, not 939's, seeing as 939's don't use ECC unbuffered memory.

Glad my 3800 X2 chugs along at 2750MHZ just fine

I wonder if this rumor was planted by someone at AMD deliberately

1. Draws attention to the oveclockability of opterons

2. Temporary bump in price and demand for opterons

3. Encourages motherboard makers to support opteron in Socket 939. It was fairly recently that ASUS put opteron support in the A8N-SLI boards

4. Encourages retailers to stock opterons

Could be a couple of other good reasons for that rumor as well that I can't think of.

The company said it would continue to ship the chips for uni-processor (UP) business machines for more than a year from the time speaking.
I think that means that they will only be sold to computer retailers like Dell. This is not anything new.

As far as I am concerned there was never any rumour planted by AMD merely misinterpretation by certain tech websites as to Opteron production being stopped. Also remember AMD have official price lists so it is not them that is doing the gouging and judging by the 3rd quarter and expected 4th quarter sales I am sure they are having no problems selling all they can make at the moment.

Reality is they will continue to be made however availability in the retail sector will be scarcer than hens teeth (also partially due I think to limited overall supply at present).

JackNSally - unbufffered EEC RAM is precisely what socket 939 can use. Socket 940 uses registered not unbuffered.

Maybe they'll start releasing verisons that don't OC as well as previous ones, so people would convert back to A64 CPUs, but the only benefits of the 100 series Opterons would be the extra cache.

Mooyo said:
Note the "server and workstation" part. They never said they are going to keep selling them seperately, just that they are going to keep making them. Who gets to sell them to whom is a totally different matter.
I'm glad someone else picked up on that. Geez, everyone's celebrating. Don't expect supply to improve much. Like Tankguys said in the beginning, they'll be available on the grey market but that's about it. :eh?:

Back